Author Topic: james fisher  (Read 1717 times)

Offline woodley

• RootsChat Extra
  • wilts lass turned yorks lass
    • View Profile
james fisher
« on: Thursday 30 April 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
hi its me again,.. i am now thanks to all on here progressing pretty well with this family name fisher, i would just like to ask of you all some advice,.. nathaniel gamble fisher 1833 dublin married emily Mc donnell, now his father is listed as JAMES FISHER, well i have been looking for the father james fisher which i estimate as being born about 1809 or 1812, now the only james i can find is born 1817 dublin but this would make him only 17 at nathaniels birth , surely way too young!!!, or do you think this james is wrong.
thankyou all :-*
PAGDEN/PAGDIN.. SPALDING.. SHEPPARD.. baverstock..lesware..leslie

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james fisher
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
If you check the 1901 census record posted in one of your other threads for Nathaniel Gamble Fisher, he says he is born in Londonderry - so that's where you need to look now.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Northbrook_Road/1293548/

(he is mistranscribed as 'Nathaniel Graham Fisher' but download the actual image at the 'Household Return (Form A)' link

Offline Franka Szymborska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER BIRTH AND FAMILY ANCESTORS - ROADBLOCK
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching my x2 great grandfather, NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER, whom, according to the 1901 census and death record, was born in Londonderry in about 1825 and was a Presbyterian.

Could you advise how I may research to find his birth record? I went to the (London)Derry website, trying to find the Presbyterian Church records contact, but no luck. The other administrative email bounced back.

Here are his details:
NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER
Born abt 1825 in Londonderry Town
Religion: Presbyterian (married Emily McDonnell in Dublin in Church of Ireland)
Father: James Fisher
Mother: Unknown
Death: 1901 in Dublin

Any help or suggestions that you can give is most appreciated. I am a descendant of Alice Fisher (NATHANIEL AND EMILY MCDONNELL'S daughter) and Ernest John Lesware .... Eileen Victoria Leslie.

Kind regards,
Sharon Smillie

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 09:37 GMT (UK) »

Civil registration of births only started in Ireland in 1864.
For earlier dates you will have to look for baptisms in church records.

Civil registration of non-Catholic Marriages started in 1845, and in 1864 for all marriages and deaths.

There's a record of a marriage of an Ernest John LESWARE to Emily Margaret FISHER on 25 March 1885 at St Mary's Parish Church, Dublin. One of the witnesses was Nathaniel G Fisher (father or brother?).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10859/5964949.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Franka Szymborska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, Kiltaglassan,
Nathaniel Gamble Fisher is Emily Fisher’s father.
Kind regards