Author Topic: Changing from Ultimate Family Tree to a different family history programme  (Read 7783 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Changing from Ultimate Family Tree to a different family history programme
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
While in an open project, (from memory), click on save as, and there are options to save as a new project or a GEDCOM or a back up (sqz file, I think it is called).

It has to be something that I am doing incorrectly; there is an example GEDCOM in the UFT so I tried importing that one and it worked okay.
I have no idea what to do. :'(
I just cannot see any other way to save it.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
I have sent a message to Roots Magic Support to seek if they can help with the GEDCOM.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 May 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Yesterday evening I tried downloading trials of roots magic, my heritage, family historian, ancestral quest 14 and PAF, and imported a GEDCOM into them.

I don't have any notes about the first one, I'll try that again to see what happens. My heritage told me the GEDCOM file in its format could not be supported, family historian stated there were some issues, I wasn't sure what, I didn't understand the next one, and PAF had loads of errors.

If none of the programs could successfully import it, but the example file was OK, I would say there is definitely something amiss with your GEDCOM file. Did you try creating a new one from scratch in UFT?

Mike.

P.S. Some of the free trial versions will only accept a limited number of people, but in that case they usually work but don't import all the individuals. I still think the GEDCOM file is corrupted somehow.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 May 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Yesterday evening I tried downloading trials of roots magic, my heritage, family historian, ancestral quest 14 and PAF, and imported a GEDCOM into them.

I don't have any notes about the first one, I'll try that again to see what happens. My heritage told me the GEDCOM file in its format could not be supported, family historian stated there were some issues, I wasn't sure what, I didn't understand the next one, and PAF had loads of errors.

If none of the programs could successfully import it, but the example file was OK, I would say there is definitely something amiss with your GEDCOM file. Did you try creating a new one from scratch in UFT?

Mike.

P.S. Some of the free trial versions will only accept a limited number of people, but in that case they usually work but don't import all the individuals. I still think the GEDCOM file is corrupted somehow.

Thank you. I just tried a new file with a few imaginary people and then had the option of saving as GEDCOM in various ways ie 1.0 or 5 something, I think; I did the latter and it imported okay.
I feel even more worried now - how does one uncorrupt a GEDCOM, do you know, please?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 May 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I just tried a new file with a few imaginary people and then had the option of saving as GEDCOM in various ways ie 1.0 or 5 something, I think; I did the latter and it imported okay.
I feel even more worried now - how does one uncorrupt a GEDCOM, do you know, please?

You shouldn't need to keep working on the gedcom file unless you erased all of your original information (creating a gedcom file does not erase the information). With your data in UFT go back and create a new gedcom file and try importing that into your chosen program.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 May 15 14:07 BST (UK) »

You shouldn't need to keep working on the gedcom file unless you erased all of your original information (creating a gedcom file does not erase the information). With your data in UFT go back and create a new gedcom file and try importing that into your chosen program.
Brilliant! Thank you very much. I have just done that and it worked!

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 May 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Glad you finally got it sorted out  8)

Whichever program you settle on, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here while you're getting used to it.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 May 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 May 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
We decided to buy Roots Magic. Now comes the fun of trying to get used to something new. :)