Author Topic: William Hodgson  (Read 3399 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hodgson
« on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    I wonder if anyone can help with any of the following?

I have a Ralph Hodgson born circa 1610 at Hamsterley, son of William Hodgson and Grace Pattison who married on 4th October 1607 at Hamsterley.

Ralphs father William Hodgson was baptised at Hamsterley on 14th June 1588, son of William Hodgson and possibly Agnes Walton who were married at Hamsterley on 20th February 1582.

The senior William Hodgson (Ralphs grandfather) is listed on many family trees on Ancestry as being born circa 1562 at Lanchester, son of a William Hodgson (born circa 1536, Hebburn, died 1598, Lanchester?) and his wife Jane Hildyard or Hilliard, who were apparently married at Lanchester on 3rd February 1561.

I have checked the family trees for Hodgson of Hebburn which list William (born circa 1536) as being the son of James Hodgson of Hebburn by his wife Miss Sayer of Worsall, and it also lists his wife as Miss Hillyard.

The family tree for Hodgson of the Manor House, Lanchester only gives three children for William Hodgson and Jane Hildyard: John Hodgson (alive 1637), and daughters Jane and Dorothy.

If anyone can shed any light on William Hodgson born circa 1562 being their son I would be most grateful!

I have contacted many people on Ancestry to see if they can help or prove this line but have had no replies so far.

With many thanks! :)

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hodgson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 The will of William HODGSON of the Mannor House is to be found in the Surtees Society publication below and also Durham University Special collections:

Wylliam HODSHON, of the Mannerhouse (Manor House) in the parishinge of Lanchester [Lanchester, County Durham]; also spelt Hodgson

Date of probate: 1598

will, 12 November 1598 (DPR/I/1/1598/H3/1-6)

Full edition published in Greenwell, W. (ed), "Wills and Inventories from the Registry at Durham, Part II" (Surtees Society, number 38, 1860, reprinted 1967), p 283-286
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia