Author Topic: NSW: Gaol Description and Entrance Books 1818-1930  (Read 6131 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: Gaol Description and Entrance Books 1818-1930
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 May 19 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks MAJM,
given the court case against Suffolk after the mail coach robbery in 1851 it is pretty clear that the George Percy Simmons I am chasing was on the Maitland and had been at Cockatoo Island.

I had noted another George Simmons in the area but I seem to recall his age did not correspond to my relative.

Robert

Yes,  but I think you may need to keep a note of the others where the details that can be found about them do not give sufficient depth to rule them out .... the chap I posted was a shoe maker, same as your chap ... and had at least one NSW colonial conviction in the right era ...   As Bitzar mentioned,  the parish records prior to Vic commencing civil registration are scant on family history.  And of course, Vic was hived off NSW in 1851.  Well the NSW parish records are of course, just as scant on family history until civil registration commenced in NSW in 1856.   And, because of the gold rushes in NSW and Vic from 1851, the movement of people within the two colonies AND from around the globe usually means that 1850s and 1860s searchings need to continue to cast a wide net rather than restrict those searchings.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rjlanc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 May 19 02:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Clancam37
from https://my.rio.bdm.vic.gov.au/efamily-history
I think this is George Percy Simmons given he is listed here as husband of Ellen Wilkins.

Record information
Event: deaths
Registration number 10368 / 1873
Family name:SIMMONS
Given name(s)George

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 May 19 02:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Clancam37
from https://my.rio.bdm.vic.gov.au/efamily-history
I think this is George Percy Simmons given he is listed here as husband of Ellen Wilkins.

Record information
Event: deaths
Registration number 10368 / 1873
Family name:SIMMONS
Given name(s)George

Yes, the death index for ref 10368/1873 gives
George SIMMONS,  born LOND,  age 47, spouse at death Ellen WILKINS.   It seems the names of his parents were not known to the informant as they are not displayed on that index.

and
the marriage index for ref 23545/1851 gives
Ellen WILKINS and George Percy SIMMONS

:D  :D

I am likely duplicating information already posted by others, so I am confirming the index entries  :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,
The Victorian BMD makes no reference to where he died.  Have looked on TROVE in 1872/1873 no Death Notices. 
Confirm --- are you looking for his Father's name?  If so his Gravestone may yield some clue, will try some local sites.
Regards
clancam37
Thanks MAJM,
given the court case against Suffolk after the mail coach robbery in 1851 it is pretty clear that the George Percy Simmons I am chasing was on the Maitland and had been at Cockatoo Island.

I had noted another George Simmons in the area but I seem to recall his age did not correspond to my relative.

Robert

Offline rjlanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 01:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am still hoping to somehow find more about his ancestors. It could well be though that he had no idea of his parents. IGI shows a few George Simmons born in London in 1826-1828 and he may be one or none of them...

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 06:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am still hoping to somehow find more about his ancestors. It could well be though that he had no idea of his parents. IGI shows a few George Simmons born in London in 1826-1828 and he may be one or none of them...

Hi Robert,
I feel I must caution against pinning hopes on a headstone for information.
Such memorials were usually erected by loved ones around the time of death and if the parental names were not known for the death registration, it seems unlikely they would be known for a memorial inscription.

As I guess you already know, Ellen (nee WILKINS) is buried at St Kilda Cemetery, Melbourne with her mother, Ellen WILKINS.  The is not a MI.  I have checked a source.
https://sbc.smct.org.au/deceasedsearch/

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have the Birth certificates for any of George's children after civil registration?
Your gg grandmother Elizabeth for instance.

There is a possibility George ( or the person registering the birth) may have been more specific about his age and birthplace.
It could help.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk