Author Topic: Help with military records Look Up please.  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with military records Look Up please.
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has access to records or details regarding the Canadian Expeditionary Force who could kindly carry out a Look Up for me please.

Unfortunately I do not have very much information to go on regarding the Look Up request but I will list what I do know. Reuben Henry Wells was born in Leicester England in 1878. I have UK Census details and his Attestation Papers for 1917. I have however recently obtained a copy of a newspaper Obituary for Rubin H Wells ( thus the reason for this post ) who died February 1938 aged 59 in Massachusetts.

The Obituary has very faint writing but I can just about read something along the lines of ......During the World War he served in the 42nd Battalion of the Black Watch in the Canadian Army. He was one of the 29 men of the ****** ******** ( really struggling with those last two words but could possibly read.........entire regiment ) to survive the war.

For the last two years and 8 months of his life he lived in Lynn, Massachusetts.

I would really appreciate any help and assistance with this request  :)

Many thanks in advance Steve.
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help with military records Look Up please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The Canadian WW1 Attestation Papers are in the process of being digitalised at the moment. The earlier letters of the alphabet are complete but unfortunately they have not got as far as the "W"

The link for Reuben Henry Wells - keep checking back and eventually you will see the full military file - just might take some time.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f90/

The second page shown on ancestry - says he had a tattoo mark on his left arm - heart with the word "Lily"
Height 5 ft 2 ins.   Chest 34 inches - dark complexion - hazel eyes - black hair -
Presbyterian.

13 July 1917 - Fredericton N B 

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Clough Street Lynn Ward 2, Essex, Massachusetts 1920 shows a Reuben H Wells with a brother Arthur J Wells -

Arthur J Wells  37 Born England. Immigrated 1904. NA. Shoe Factory.
Mary B Wells  36 Born Ireland. Immigrated 1902. NA.
Lois M Wells  5 Born MA 1915. Adoptyed daughter.
Reuben H Wells  41 Born England. Brother.  Immigrated 1908. AL.  Shoe factory.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Border Crossing Canada to the USA for Reuben H Wells born 1879 Leicester England and aged 40 years. Port of arrival Newport, Vermont February 1919. Last permanent residence :- Montreal Quebec. Barracks.
Occupation:- Ex-soldier - shoe cutter. Had been in the USA 1907 - July 1917 - Last departure from USA 1917 - brother Arthur Wells of Clough Street Lynn Ma.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Lynn, Massachusetts, City Directory, 1927 - Reuben H Wells - shoe cutter - 40 Herschel - same address as John A (painter) and Mary B Wells.

Lynn, Massachusetts, City Directory, 1932 - Reuben Wells - 41 High Rock St - shoewkr.

Sandra

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 May 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Sandra for your replies, you have been busy  ;)

Obviously some of the information I am familar with, however there are some details that are new to me.

I`ve been struggling to know where Reuben resided after 1920 as I couldn`t locate him on the Census, although his obituary stated he had lived in Lynn Massachusetts for 2 years and 8 months prior to his death. So your directory details are most welcome.

Many sincere thanks again Sandra for taking an interest in this thread and for your replies.  ;D

Steve
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.