Author Topic: Is "Meek" a nickname?  (Read 18507 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Is "Meek" a nickname?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
The problem with Ancestry.com seems to be it is very easy to go off on the wrong track and not get back.

Oh, yes, you are spot on. Never believe anything you find in any online tree - use it as a basis for research, and aim to confirm everything by hunting out original documents.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree with terry h & Forfarian but will go as far as to say Pittendreich is much more likely to be a place or farm name for where James came from/lived especially as the Soutar surname/shoemaker occupation tally.

Josey

ADDED: Also wondered if 'Meik' [in some cases - probably not this one] could be a shortened version of 'Meikle' as a distinguishing nickname?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 November 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
@ Josey. I've never come across a Meik/Meikle connection apart from one marriage. Meikison & Meik are connected though.

Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Andrew,  greetings cousin ;D    I've sent you a PM.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Meik of Ledcarsie's descendants were civil engineers, built the stonework of the Forth Bridge & founded Halcrows the engineering company.

I've been looking at John Waddell (1828-1888), who was another of the contractors involved in building the Forth Bridge. He's one of Waddells of Gain in New Monkland, a son of George Waddell of Gain (1801-1868), who was born in Bathgate. I think his father John Waddell (1762-1847) was one of the Waddells of Leadloch and Holehouseburn in Whitburn.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
@ Ff, there was also a Waddell, Controller of Customs, Bo'ness who was married to a Meek.

Regards,

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
@ Ff, there was also a Waddell, Controller of Customs, Bo'ness who was married to a Meek.

I have some notes about Janet Meek (1803-1892), born and died Whitburn, daughter of Robert Meek and Jean Stark, who married in 1826 Alexander Waddell (1802-1863), born and died Whitburn, son of George Waddell and Agnes Nisbet. He was a farmer so obviously not the one you meant.

Also Isabella Lockhart Meek, daughter of John Meek of Campfield and Agnes Muirhead, married in 1805 to George Waddell of Rashiehill. Her sister Janet was married to George Miller of Frankfield. She also had a brother George Meek of Campfield. Isabella survived her parents and all her siblings and was served heir to both her parents and to George and Janet. Was this the Waddell you were referring to?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 13 November 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
@ Ff, I would need to check my notes on that Waddell.
 George Meek of Campfield was a surgeon & founder of the Falkirk Bank, he and his sisters were off the Meek's of Fortissat, Shotts. That family had interests in the West Indies sugar trade as indeed had George Miller of Frankfield, his estate in Glasgow being named for Frankfield in Jamaica, Glasgow's economy at the time being dependant on sugar & slavery.

Robert Meek & Jean Stark is interesting.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 13 November 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
@ Ff, I would need to check my notes on that Waddell.
I will look forward to hearing what you find.

George Meek of Campfield was a surgeon & founder of the Falkirk Bank, he and his sisters were off the Meek's of Fortissat, Shotts. That family had interests in the West Indies sugar trade as indeed had George Miller of Frankfield, his estate in Glasgow being named for Frankfield in Jamaica, Glasgow's economy at the time being dependant on sugar & slavery.
Hmmmm.

I have just been looking at the family of William Lockhart Gray (1836-1917), son of Andrew Gray and Janet McAllister, who was born at Frankfield in Glasgow, and married in 1861 Janet Waddell (1843-1919), daughter of John Waddell and Janet Cleland. They emigrated to New Zealand in 1862, had a family of 13, and died there. Noting William's middle name, I wonder if there is any connection between George Miller and Andrew Gray or Janet McAllister?