Author Topic: James EDWARDS, Boer War - Royal Artillery c1900  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
James EDWARDS, Boer War - Royal Artillery c1900
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I've just found out from a newspaper article about his golden wedding anniversary that my great-granduncle James Edwards (born 1877 St Vigeans near Arbroath) served with the Royal Artillery during the Boer War and then again during WWI.  The article states he was at the relief of Ladysmith (1900).

I know it's highly unlikely to find his WWI service details.

There is a record on FindMyPast that is match for birth (date close enough at 1878) and location with the Event dated 1900 under the sub-category Regimental & Service Records (but not under the sub-category Boer Wars).

I'm not asking anyone to obtain the record for me, but could someone who has access please have a look and tell me what the record is?  Is it a file, or a single page like a scan of a medal register or medal card?  With that information I can make a decision on how urgently I need the record.

I am not certain what role James had during his service, but in civilian life he was a blacksmith.  His brother John was a blacksmith and served as a farrier with the Service Corps in WWI.  The RA would have had similar roles prior to motorization.

Thanks in advance.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James EDWARDS, Boer War - Royal Artillery c1900
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 01:05 BST (UK) »
This one matches - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f4766%2f068%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f4766%2f581654&highlights=%22%22

You can either buy a few credits or take out the 14 day free trial. Just remember to cancel before it ends. He only joined up for a year. He was a time-served Shoeing Smith - gives the name of his master - so worth having. Only enlisted for a year and the RA employed him as a Shoeing Smith.

Sailed for South Africa a month after the Relief of Ladysmith. Ancestry says he received Queens SA medal with clasps for Cape Colony and the two enemy states - Orange Free State and Transvaal - http://tinyurl.com/mv4ooen and "South Africa 1901" - http://tinyurl.com/klwjvsn

Ken

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 01:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ken.

So he sailed a month after Ladysmith - that's interesting.  I expect his master would have been his father, also James.

I exhausted the 14 day trial long ago, and buy credits from time to time - usually when I have a few records to grab at once, and I'll get this one eventually.

Thanks for the links to the medal lists, but the first link seems to bring me back to this page.  The 2nd link gives me the information I need to search for the rest.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 01:49 BST (UK) »
Curious, a Google search for "James Edwards" + "Shoeing Smith" brings up this site which suggests he was actually in the RAF in WWI: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6634829#timeline

Names of wife and children all match my man.

It seems the newspaper article was a little inaccurate on two counts.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
I will fix the link later,.

Is this him in the photograph? It is WW1 era and in the army. Something like the ASC who provided transport and drove ambulances.

I have heard that a different card and email address work.

Ken

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ken - don't worry about the fixing the link, I found the other record using the service number, and a distant cousin has produced the Boer War Attestation.

The man in the photo is James' brother, my great-grandfather John "Jeck" Edwards during his Service Corps service.

I should have thought of the "other card" lurk myself.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
I now have the WWI records that are available.

The service record shows he joined the Army on 8.5.15, moved to the RFC on 13.1.18 and to the RAF on 1.4.18 (which is of course the day it was founded).  On the back it shows he was in the RFA (Royal Field Artillery) MEF 14.1.16 to 15.5.17.

Is MEF the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force?  A newspaper article about his retirement from work in 1947 mentions being in Egypt and Gallipoli.

The other record is a 1918 RAF muster showing his trade as blacksmith and rank as Corp. Mech.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 May 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Here is the correct link to his medal and CC, OFS and T clasps - http://tinyurl.com/kgbcz6r

You will need an Ancestry subscription.

Yes, MEF = Mediterranean Expeditionary Force

Ken

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 May 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help on this one, Ken!  Much appreciated.