Author Topic: Ann Walters Frome Workhouse  (Read 6867 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Walters Frome Workhouse
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 May 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
The ages on the 1851 census I posted are slightly out but looking for baptisms for George there are two possible in Batcombe.
George son of Richard & Hannah who was born 21 August 1835 (bapt 9 July 1837)
George son of Samuel & Eliza bapt 29 May 1836.

George son of Samuel & Eliza is with his parents in 1851. 

The family who George and William are living with are the wife and children of Frederick Walter who was baptised 11 March 1821 at Batcombe son of Richard & Ann - fathers occ Cordwainer.  Frederick married Ann Hill 26 December 1837.

In case you don't have it Williams baptism, the same day as Georges

Date of Birth   10 June 1837
Baptism    09 July 1837
William
Father Richard
Mother Hannah
Surname   WALTER
Abode - Westcombe late of Batcombe
Fathers Occupation   Shoemaker
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John Walters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 May 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Yes, I had come to the conclusion that George and William were living with Ann who is presumably the widow of Frederick though I have so far not found a burial notice/date for him.

It is odd that the ages of both George and William appear to be understated.  In the 1841 census their ages are given as 7 and 4 which would make them 17 and 14 in 1851.  William enlisted in the Grenadier Guards in 1855 declaring his age to be 18 which is consistent with the 1841 census.

As an aside it is also strange that Ann's children Sarah and Frederick are both described as "At home" rather than "Scholar" like their two younger sisters.

Ann was only 17 when she married Frederick.  Usually the reason for marrying young was that the girl was pregnant but Sarah was born up to 3 years later.  Perhaps her baby died?

I suppose we shall never fully unravel these little mysteries though I would like to find evidence of William going to Ireland.  I wonder if he went there with his older brother George?

Cheers

John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 May 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
I think that with the 1851 entry maybe Ann was not sure exactly how old the boys were.  I can't see a death for Frederick either.

Unfortunately there are no shipping records between England & Ireland.  I can't see a possible George on the Irish 1901/1911 census either though I think it is possible he went there with William.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk