Author Topic: looking for McIlhatten relatives from county Antrim  (Read 3063 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for McIlhatten relatives from county Antrim
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 05:27 BST (UK) »
researching my family, I have come across the name of McIlhatten from county Antrim. I have found a marriage to Gilmore also from country Antrim around 1800. McIlhatten and variations seems to be quite an uncommon surname. I am looking for anyone whom may have that name in their family and any information in Antrim about McIlhattens in the 1800's even a nudge in the right direction would be a big help. Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for relatives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
McIlhatton isn't that rare a name in Co. Antrim. You haven't mentioned a townland or area so it's hard to know what you might be looking for but once you have a location then you could start searching for church records (if any go back far enough in that area).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   As Aghadowey said the name isn't rare in Co. Antrim. There appear to be a number of families in the parish of Kilraughts in the Ballymoney area in the mid 1800s and many are connected to Kilraught First Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Have just realised that you've numerous posts with conflicting information or assumptions.

Hi All, I'm looking to try and locate a William Gilmore who married Ellen McIlhatten around 1800ish. William's father was alaso a William Gilmore who supposedly had land in co Antrim. ...

Hi, I'm looking for anyone whom may have information about or be related to William Gilmour and his wife Ellen (Helen) McElhatton. They would be born about the late 1800's. Came from the area of mid to south county Derry.

Also on Londonderry board-
Hi, I am looking to find info about or family related. I am descended from William Gilmore born about 1795-died between 1834-1849 and wife Ellen (poss. McLaughlin) ...

... They were born in Ireland but I believe migrated over when the father William died(prob in famine). ...
Actually, very few people in north Derry/Antrim died as a result of the Famine as it was not widespread here as in many other areas of Ireland.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 15 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for the responses. Sorry about the confusion concerning the information I have., Just recently, after a fair few trips to Glasgow, have I come across the fact that it appears my family comes from county Antrim with some appearing in county Derry. What I have is this (some dates are assumptions on my part):

William Gilmour born @ 1785 (?) in Antrim-  father supposedly also William- my William was a   Presbyterian but became Catholic(?)

his wife Ellen/Helen McIlHatten(son says this is last name-prev thought to be McLaughlin). she appears in 1951 Glasgow census with children John,Charles,Robert,Mary & Thomas. Child James also in Glasgow. She died shortly after. No sign of William so assume died prior to 1851.

I have been told that William's father William had an estate in Antrim.He supposedly threw son William out when he converted  to Catholicism.

The county Derry connection is that William and Ellen's son John married Rose Henry in Tamlacht O'Crilly,co Derry in 1853 and that they were 2nd cousins. I thought at time may be from same area.
Hope this clarifies my dilemma. Sorry for confusion. Any help or pointing in right direction most appreciated. Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Tamlaght O'Crilly is near the Londonderry/Antrim border so Gilmores in Co. Antrim (if that is indeed the correct county) might not have lived far from Co.Londonderry. However, it is doubtful that "William's father William had an estate in Antrim" as most people were tenants rather than landowners. It may have been that William's family were better off than Ellen's which became the basis of this story handed down in the family.

his wife Ellen/Helen McIlHatten(son says this is last name-prev thought to be McLaughlin).
Why was her maiden name previously thought to be McLaughlin? It's wuite possible, for a variety of reasons, that the son could have been mistaken about his mother's maiden name.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I am not sure if this is helpful. 4 Jan 1811 Alexander HENNERY married Mary GILMORE in Garvagh First Presbyterian Church.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: looking for McIlhatten relatives from county Antrim
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 May 15 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you Kingskerswell and Aghadowey. It was initially thought to be McLaughlin, as it was found on a family death cert where the informant was a daughter in law. Subsequently, I found a poor law application where the son John gave her name as Ellen(Helen) McIlhatten. I then linked up with a relation from son Thomas' line who had handwritten notes from her grandfather where her last name is given as McIlhatton so I figured these were more reliable than the daughter in laws info, although I am keeping an open mind. As to the connection across the Antrim/Derry border, I do believe this is the case. Thank you for responding. If you have any further advice, I'd be glad of it. Kim

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile