Author Topic: William James Thornton Early 1900's  (Read 4491 times)

Caza

William James Thornton Early 1900's
« on: Tuesday 20 July 04 10:49 BST (UK) »
William James Thornton 35yrs. Living at PeesHill Rd. on the 1901 census. (Occupation Telegraphist)with wife Annie 32yrs. and son William John Cecil Thornton (my grandfather) 6yrs.
Annie died 1909 and William John Cecil Thornton comes to Australia in 1913. Am trying to find any info. about William James Thorntons life, perhaps he remarried and had another family!!! would love to know. In the Wrights Directory 1913-1914 his address is Barnston Rd. Sneinton Dale and he is a Postal Telegraphist. He died in 1918 aged 53 yrs.
Any info. about him or his family would be much appreciated. Caza

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: William James Thornton Early 1900's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 04 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a marriage of William James Thornton to Annie Gee 1 Aug 1892 at St Luke Nottingham.
William John Cecil Thornton Bapt. 10 April 1895 at Radford St Michaels & All Angels Father William Mother Annie Adobe 65 Wimborne Road Occ. Telegraphist
I also have a Bapt. Annie Gee 31 March 1878 at St Stephen Sneinton Nottm father John Mother Fanny abode Carlton Rd Occ. Pork Butcher also at the same time a Son Harry
I have a marriage of John Gee to Fanny Timpson 3 June 1873 at Cropwell Bishop Nottm.

Caza

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Mable, thanks for your quick reply. I do have some of the info. you supplied in your reply. But not Annie Gee's bapt. in 1878. She was born 1868 to John &Sarah (Lowe) Gee.They married in 1868. Sarah died in 1872. John then Married Fanny Simpson in 1873.Edith was born 1875 &Harry 1876. I guess Annie was'nt bapt. til 1878. Have also checked 1881 census and have been unable to find Harry Gee. the only entry for Harry 5yrs. is in Sheffiled York with Grandmother Eliza Gee,but this Harrys birth is given as Shefield not NTT. Harry then appears on 1901 census with his parents. I wonder where Harry is on the 1891 census?. Thankyou for William John Cecil Thorntons bapt. date have his birth. as he is my grandfather I am most grateful for this info. William James Thornton his father was born in Wolverhampton STS. about 1865. I am really interested to find any information about him especially in his later years. thank you again Caza.

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
1871 census Sneinton Dale Nottm
Dennis Nelson age 47 Occ Slater born Nottm
Ann Nelson wife age 50 Occ. Lace Maker born Hoston Leics
Sarah Ann Thornton age 28 dau born London Widow
William James Thornton Grandson age 5 born Wolverhampton
Kate Barrett Neice age 7 born Wolverhampton
I have Sarah Ann Thornton marriage to Mark Coleman 1st Aug 1874 at St Stephen Sneinton
You can find Dennis Nelson and Grandson William J. Thornton and family in the 1881 at 2 Colwick Rd Sneinton Nottm
Dennis married Mary Ann Robinson 7 Aug 1849 at St Peter Radford Nottm
Have yoy got a copy of William Thornton's death that might tell you if he was married also see if he left a will.

Caza

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 July 04 00:26 BST (UK) »
Mable, thanks for your reply.I have considered getting William James Thornton death cert. perhaps it may be a good idea.I appreciate the time you have taken to include the info. you have. Caza