Author Topic: Swepson in the 1901 Census  (Read 1269 times)

Offline johnphillips1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Swepson in the 1901 Census
« on: Thursday 07 July 05 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi williamsgwynfa and others,

Hope that someone can help me with information in 1901 Census.

I'm Looking for Jabez Albert Swepson & Lydia Sarah Swepson.

Many thanks,

John

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swepson in the 1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 05 23:38 BST (UK) »
From the 1901 census:-

Jabez Swepson, 22, Groom Horse Dealers, Born Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire

Lydia Swepson, 23, Born Littlebury, Essex

Living at 58 Whitsed? Street, Peterborough
RG13/1462   Folio 137   Page 13

Regards, Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnphillips1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 05 00:59 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, many thanks  :)

John

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 05 19:35 BST (UK) »
Wow, never thought I'd ever see anyone else researching the Swepsons!

I have a real problem - as there don't seem to be more than a handful of them nationwide, perhaps you can help?

There is a Jane Swepson b.1823 in my family tree who married a John Lappage b.1822 in Copford Essex in 1856.  She died, ostensibly of Pulonary consumption in 1859 but really, I would guess, as a result of childbirth as her newborn daughter, Jane Frances, also died the same year.

I know nothing else about her other than that she had a son William (Lappage) b.1857.  Trouble is, no-one else seems to have heard of her either.

Offline johnphillips1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 05 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi siriusdogstar,

I'm sorry to disappoint; although I may look for the descendants of this particular family later...  I'm currently researching the Phillips family.

I can tell you however that Lydia Swepson b.1877 was formerly a Phillips, married Oct/Nov/Dec 1900 in the Saffron Walden district, Essex, 2nd eldest of 11 children, Daughter of William Barker Phillips & Jane Phillips (formerly Draper).

I have found another 7 Swepsons besides Jabez Albert on the 1881 Census, Jabez Albert is living with family at West St, Godmanchester, Huntingdonshire.
Follow the link below to view...

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&ti=5538&r=5538&db=uki1881&F11=1881BR_1646772&F0=Huntingdonshire&F2=Godmanchester&F10=5&F5=Huntingdon&F4=Huntingdon

I would recommend finding these 7 other Swepsons on the other available Census, i.e. 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891 & 1901, undoubtedly this will discover other related Swepsons that again you can look for on the Census for their extended family...

Hope this helps & Good Luck

John

P.S.

If you discover that you have a connection with these Swepsons in particular, please let me know as that means we are somehow related and we can swap/connect our Family Trees, saving us both a huge amount of work...

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 06 16:36 BST (UK) »
So  long since we spoke so I hope you are still interested.

I did figure out Jane's lineage to some extent.  Her father was Joseph b.1791 in Hampstead, London.  He married Sarah Elizabeth Carter in 1816 and had children Sarah Thomas and Jane.  There is also a son, Joseph, who probably belongs to them.

He later married Frances Rodway of Woodchester, Gloucester.

Joseph's father was Thomas b.1754 but I don't know where.

I also found Jane's son, William Lappage, after a four year search.  He lied about his age and ran away to sea in 1874.  Unfortunately, he didn't last long as he died in Bermuda in 1876.  I know where he is buried but no details as yet - I'm still trying to figure out how to get $36 to Bermuda for a copy of the certificate!

Can you see a link with your tree?

Kind regards - Sue

Offline johnphillips1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Sorry for not responding any sooner, I've got to be honest, I haven't done much on this for about 3-4 months.  I'm waiting on my uncle who is drawing up a family tree but it's taking him some time... 

I will do some more research in the future but mainly on my Nans side, as there is still plenty to be done on this.  The Phillips family I have now done back as far as the 1630s.

As my connection to the Swepsons is only through marriage, i.e. Lydia Phillips marrying Jabez Swepson, I don't know much about the Swepsons.

Do you have Jabez Swepson on your Family Tree then?  If so, then perhaps we are in-laws of some sort.  Please let me know...

Good to hear from you again,

Best wishes,

John