Author Topic: Bedlington - Woods Pop Factory  (Read 5990 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedlington - Woods Pop Factory
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 March 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Anton1, Welcome to RootsChat. I remember this post and I contributed once re Lance and Harry Wood.  I cannot help re your query, but searching here on Roots for 'Blyth History' you will possibly find more information as to what you are looking for. AND again in this Northumberland section there is also a separate section/chapter entitled,... 'Bebside v. Cowpen' . That too may be useful for you.
Good hunting.

Offline Eggy1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 March 23 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Anton1 - can't give you any specific info on the area but as you say you believe Office Row was for built for the manager/ office workers at the pit. Almost all of the local pits, Bedlington, Barrington, Cambois etc had an office Row very close to the colliery.

I checked out the are on the old maps on the National library of Scotland site and the 1920 map has the name Office Row and the 1937 map has the same row names as Mansel terrace.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=15.1&lat=55.12717&lon=-1.54914&layers=102&b=1&z=0&point=55.12403,-1.54940

I don't know if you have ever looked at the Durham Mining Museum site but it has details on every colliery in the Northumberland and Durham area. It doesn't give information on the area but does attempt to list all the facts on each colliery.
http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/index_b.htm

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 March 23 20:56 GMT (UK) »
First, a very warm welcome to Rootschat.
Blyth News, 15 Oct 1923
BLYTH TOWN COUNCIL
Letters were read from Seaton Delaval Coal Co Ltd and the Cowpen Coal Co Ltd stating that they could not agree to any alterations in street names. The Bebside Coal Co Ltd suggested the following changes:-
Office Road, Bebside to Mansel Terrace; Station Row, Bebside to to Lonsdale Terrace; West Row, Bebside to Errington Street; Brick Road, Bebside to Purvis Street.
It was recommended that the names proposed by the Bebside Coal Co Ltd be approved and adopted, and that the borough Engineer be instructed to have the names altered accordingly forthwith and the Registration Officer notified.

Offline RobertWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 July 23 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all - I'm new to the site so thank you for bearing with me! I have been reading with great interest your various posts concerning the Woods Pop Factory.

I am another Wood descendant (hi extended fam!) living in the UK and J.W.Wood who founded the factory was my Great Great Grandfather, through his son William Henry Wood, then his son H. Sydney Wood, then his son W.H.L.Wood ('Harry') who is my father.

My father is alive and was the last managing director of Wood & Watson Ltd which was the 'other' soft drinks factory set-up by William Henry Wood in the 1890s. We lived in Gilesgate, Durham close to the factory.

I'd be keen to find out more about my extended family ancestry, and particularly from anyone who has had a go at collating an extended family tree? I was surprised to read that J.W.Wood had 9 children and started to realise the scale of the task! Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Billstives

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 December 23 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I read the topic with interest. I am the younger son of Harry Wood (Lance was my uncle).

The history of Wood's Mineral Waters after Furnace Bank, Bedlington. Moved to an old church on Percy Street, Blyth then to an Atcost shed at junction of Ridley Avenue/Bath Terrace/Wellington Street East and then to Horton Grange, Bebside.

Regarding Mansel Terrace, it was for the Wood clan.

From left to right (as far as I can remember) was
Lance Wood (4),
Alan and Mary Hudson (nee Wood) (2),
Nora Wood,
Bill and Evelyn Bennet (nee Wood)(1).

Had a great time as a kid - free pop!!! Lot's of happy memories.

Regards
Bill Wood (William Henry Wood)

Offline cathie377

• RootsChat Extra
  • "Millie" My best friend, joy to my life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Bedlington - Woods Pop Factory.  This is where my Grandmother and Grandfather met.  They married in 1910.  They lived in what my Mother said was called the Bedlington Bridge House.  It is my understanding the house is now a Pharmacy. 
Barron, Coutts, Douglas, Douglass,  Foggan, Gallacher, Gallagher, Jackson, Maughan, Nicholson,  Robinson, Story, Storey, Thornton, Weatheral

England:  Durham, Northumberland
New Zealand:  Taylorsville
Scotland: Lanarkshire,  Midlothianshire, Peeblesshire