Author Topic: Mort Cloths  (Read 5386 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mort Cloths
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 May 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
 Thank you for all the info.Having read many sites about mortcloths I understand a lot more about them. It seems they have been used for centuries,ie The Turin Shroud.Today some deceased's coffins in England are covered with a flag which is a type of mortcloth?I don't remember mortcloths being mentioned in England,but any coffin covered in a flag,would have been the same as a mortcloth.
 The term must have been dropped a long time ago,but it makes sense that,if a family couldn't afford a coffin,the body would have been wrapped in a mortcloth.
  I would be interested to know when the practice was stopped.Several members of my family were buried in Glasgow over 200years,I wonder who had a mortcloth and who didn't.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 May 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
At Alness, the Highlands, in 1863 the cord of a mort cloth was being sought to cure a sick horse. Superstition - witches had made use of the animal and the cure was to wrap the animal in the cord. A problem was encountered - mort cloths having become "almost extinct".
The solution was to wrap the horse in a sheet that was known to have been used to wrap a corpse.

(Inverness Courier)

The becoming extinct could, of course, simply apply to that neck of the woods.

Offline Johncarruth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 May 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
I am of Scottish birth but was living in the London area as a child in the 1950s when  all my Grandparents died in Glasgow, my parents separately going to Glasgow for the funerals and I  was told at that time that only men attended the funerals with the womenfolk staying at home.
John.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 May 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
 Yes that was true.A cousin told me about the funeral of our uncle.He was in their house for about 3 days before the funeral, which she found hard to deal with,especially they only had a small flat.On the day the men went with the coffin while the women stayed at home to prepare food and drinks.I don't know when this was changed,can anyone tell me?

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 May 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
This custom "died out" gradually from the 1960s onwards. My great-aunt's husband died in 1965 and she went to the graveside. My grannie (her sister) was scandalised and they had an argument after the church service. I think it really had to do with the women staying behind and making the steak-pie & peas! Nowadays we are all too rich to do it ourselves - but it's still steak-pie & peas  ;D
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 May 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that in Northern Ireland, some women still do not attend the burial, leaving it instead to the men to go, whereas in Scotland and England, I've noticed many women attend. Perhaps regional variations in any of these countries also prove the opposite though, and local 'customs' are reflecting what is considered 'standard' in any particular area.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 May 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be a problem with women attending a crematorium service.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
I think it was an old tradition for whatever reason but even today some women will not go to the graveyard. I was born in 1956 but I remember this from I was young.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 May 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Lodger is right, the introduction of cremations brought about the end of women's non-attendance at funerals generally.

This stark painting by James Guthrie shows a mortcloth in use at a Highland funeral. Click to expand the image,

http://collections.glasgowmuseums.com/starobject.html?oid=571

Skoosh.