Author Topic: 1913 NSW Electoral Roll  (Read 2502 times)

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1913 NSW Electoral Roll
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on the differences here:

1913 NSW Electoral Roll - Randwick - Randwick Polling-Place
4229 PALMER Lydia Irene Alberta, 3 King-street, domestic duties

1913 NSW Electoral Roll - South Sydney - Kensington
PALMER Lydia Irene Alberta, 3 King-street, Randwick, home duties
PALMER Amy Gertrude Campbell, 3 King-street, home duties

The first is from a set of 16 CDs. The second from fiche at the SLNSW.

South Sydney was a Commonwealth Division created in 1900 and abolished in 1934. Kensington was a Sub-Division.

The CD breaks NSW up in to what is called 'Districts' and within them 'Polling-Places' so I'm confused as to how there can be two different ways of deciding where each elector belongs.

Fred

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: 1913 NSW Electoral Roll
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
I am guessing but imagine it was because the person had moved residence and the roll was updated with the new address, but the old one not removed.

Neil

WHOOPS I see she didn't move :-[ Umm maybe they were changing electorate boundaries in that year. ::)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You will likely find it is the same person, it is the same street address on both  :).  You will also find that the 1913 NSW Electoral Rolls are in hardcopy, so not just CD and not just fische, but also hardcopy.  So the fische was imaged off the hardcopy and the CD is basically the pdfs of the hardcopy, with OCR for the pdf search engine.  You can also find the 1913 NSW Electoral Roll as a database at Find My Past.

Yes, Neil's explanation is logical, (when people move) and there's plenty of examples to support that explanation.   It is important to remember that the system in that era was very much a paper based clerical admin system.   So, from the Electoral Office's view, it was very important to ADD the new enrolments at the new address as promptly as possible, and then basically rely on the elector to remember to inform that they had left (via the Post Office !)  their previous address (so after an election, the polling clerks and returning officers for the electorate could check, see who had not voted in respect of that address, and then determine why not ..... moved address was the usual reason.) 

You also need to establish if you are looking at a New South Wales Electoral Roll, or a Commonwealth Electoral Roll. (or another roll eg local government/municipal/shire/city) .   The NSW Electoral Roll is prepared for the NSW parliamentary elections.   This is different from the Commonwealth of Australia parliamentary elections.   

There's eight jurisdictions in Australia.   Back in 1913 there were six.   So before Australia was constituted as a federation (this occurred in 1901) there were six colonies, each with their own parliament.  Those six parliaments continue to this day, and it is unlikely there will be any initiative to abolish this.   Federation introduced a further Parliament, that of the Commonwealth of Australia.  Each of the six colonies (now known as states) retain (to this day) their own sovereign constitutional roles/duties etc to the state that they govern. To those six states there are now two territories with parliaments, and there's also the Federal Parliament, the one that sits in Canberra. 

So there's a lot of electoral rolls.   In New South Wales, since the 1850s, there have been 'divisions' geographical/population based ELECTORATES and within each electorate there are polling places, at which the electors go, on election day, and have their name crossed off and are handed ballot slips to cast their ballot (vote), for the person to represent that 'division' / 'electorate' in the respective parliament.   

Hope this info helps explain, and is not clouding the issue for you, as the street address is the same in each version.

Basically from federation, and in general terms, (there are exceptions, varying dates etc) to be eligible to enrol to vote you needed to be a) aged 21 years and over and b) a British subject either by birth or by naturalisation and c) resident at that address.   So, you are simply looking at a document that gives you the federal electoral details and the state electoral details.   You will see that two persons with surname Palmer are enrolled for that address for Commonwealth election and only one for state election.   I will look up the dates of those elections and post further shortly.

Cheers,  JM  (edited to make better sense, and include relevant info, also please see my next post)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 15 03:24 BST (UK) »
Further to my last post (I had added some info, and now there's been a number of further reads of the thread, so I will put this in a new post)

:)  The 1913 Commonwealth Elections were  31 May 1913.

:)  The NSW Elections for the electorate of Randwick were 6 December 1913.

Cheers,  JM

I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on the differences here:

1913 NSW Electoral Roll - Randwick - Randwick Polling-Place
4229 PALMER Lydia Irene Alberta, 3 King-street, domestic duties

PALMER Amy Gertrude Campbell, 3 King-street, home duties

The first is from a set of 16 CDs. The second from fiche at the SLNSW.

South Sydney was a Commonwealth Division created in 1900 and abolished in 1934. Kensington was a Sub-Division.

The CD breaks NSW up in to what is called 'Districts' and within them 'Polling-Places' so I'm confused as to how there can be two different ways of deciding where each elector belongs.

Fred
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM.

It is the same person and she didn't move.

I think I now understand the difference between the two.  Jumping to later years the Electoral Roll will have the Commonwealth Division at the top of the left page and the Commonwealth Sub-Division on the top of the right page. Also on the top of the left page is the State Electorate (which often in error on 'A...' is used as the Commonwealth Division in its index).

So ...

... is the Commonwealth Division and Commonwealth Sub-Division.

Randwick therefore is a State Electorate with the following Polling-places:

Coogee, Kensington, Little Coogee, Long Bay and Randwick

So the CD for NSW is a set of State Electorates with their Polling-places.

Fred

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, you figured it out exactly.  You were able to wade through all my long winded words and see the wood for the trees.  Well done.

Cheers,  JM