Author Topic: Decipher death cert Glasgow 1862 Alice Anderson  (Read 974 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Decipher death cert Glasgow 1862 Alice Anderson
« on: Monday 11 May 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
I have a couple of questions.  What is the physician's surname?  The informant is described as "occupier".  What does that mean?  Actually, I have a third question.  What sort of domicile would 20 College Street in Glasgow have been in that period?
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher death cert Glasgow 1862
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Physician - Thomas Alexander, M.D.

Occupier simply meant that she lived at that address, we can't say much more. As the mother was a domestic servant, perhaps she was the mother's employer?

Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Here is a map of College Street from that period:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74953138#zoom=5&lat=6372&lon=5646&layers=BT

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:23 BST (UK) »
1862 Glasgow Directory lists a Miss Buchanan, dressmaker, at 20 College Street.  Scroll  down to the transcription.  It's alphabetical.

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=84362955&mode=transcription

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:30 BST (UK) »
Considering the central city location, might 20 College Street have been tenements, or a number of rooms at the same address, considering Jeanne's find of Miss Buchanan dressmaker at the same address?
It might be worth trying to trace Janet Loudon (London?) to see what her occupation was in 1861 and where she lived.
Maybe Janet was a friend who Jane was staying with when her baby died?

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 15 01:14 BST (UK) »
I have very sketchy information on the mother, Jane Anderson, who seems to have been a seamstress. She seems to have had three illegitimate children and one legitimate child by William Mitchell who married her 30 May 1861.

Glasgow Census 1891:  13 Kerr Street, Barony, St. George in the Fields, Glasgow - 05/04/1891
Jane Anderson,head,  married, housekeeper for son, 57 yrs, born Refrewshire Paisley
William Anderson, son, unmarried, 30 yrs, cabinet maker, born Lanarkshire Glasgow

Glasgow census 1881.
111 Henderson Street, Barony, Maryhill, Glasgow
Jane Mitchell, head, widow, seamstress, 46 yrs, born Refrewshire Paisley
William Mitchell, son, cabinet maker, unmarried, 20 yrs, born Lanarkshire Glasgow

What I am really aiming for is a connection to:
Henrietta Campbell married to John Campbell baker (journeyman) died 20th May 1909 at 6:35 am at 20 Ward Street, Glasgow aged 48 years.  Parents are James Anderson, road surfaceman (deceased) and Jane Mitchell (deceased), previously Anderson, MS Anderson, cardiac disease 2 yrs anasarca.  Informant   J. Campbell, widower (present).

Henrietta's father may be fictional, but I can't really tell.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
You're right Ruskie, it was a tenement. 

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=18581231&id=uG1EAAAAIBAJ&sjid=47EMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5582,6146284&hl=en

College Street is part of the University area I think!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 May 15 05:02 BST (UK) »
I believe this is Henriettas's mother:

OPR Baptism 1836 High Church-Paisley-Refrewshire .
"Jane L(egal) dau of James Anderson and Jane Thomson born 19th Nov 1835 bapt 1st Instant"