Author Topic: 1915 photo of troop exercises on promenade. "Blackpool"?  (Read 4798 times)

Offline xmedia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1915 photo of troop exercises on promenade. "Blackpool"?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
The other training headquarters in Blackpool was on Charnley Road.   I do recall seeing a photo of it a long while ago,  so know the attached picture is the building in its present form.  The door and shape of windows does match quite well to your photo.  I think that is a more likely candidate than the Queen Street one.   Again if you went down to the promenade it is probably a half mile to my feeling of where the promenade photo may have been taken.

I've attached an old postcard which is maybe a quarter mile north of the area I mentioned to give you an idea of the layout around that era.   The boats did operate out of that area.   I still feel the "tower" in the right of the photo matches the ornamental post next to the lamp post in the google street pic.   Central promenade near the Blackpool Tower area was not as steep beach access and did not have the tiered layout of the north shore area.    I think between North Pier and Gynn Square has the necessary elevation.    Metropole Hotel has the uniqueness of being the only hotel on the sea side of the promenade, being built on a natural headland.  I think the direct area around it would probably be more concreted and stepped than a little further up where there is just tiered slades going down to the beach.

As an afterthought and probably of no relevance, they did choose to erect the Cenotaph on the other side of the hotel.  If the area was used for training and marching maybe that is why?   SWho knows lol

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
I always imagined that the cenotaph was there because it was within spitting distance of the Town Hall on Talbot Square.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 July 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Xmedia and RayT for all that useful help and the photos. There is a lot there to be looked at and I will get down to it as soon as I can. Cheers Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Blackpool Edwardian Postcard view of Princess Parade, North Shore, Blackpool. The view is looking North from the sea side location of the Metropol Hotel. The Metropol Hotel is out of view, on the right. The steps where the Troops were photographed, can been seen to the middle right of the picture. The steps are no longer there, due to the Promenade reconstruction over the past one hundred years.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 03:43 GMT (UK) »
https://www.hotel.com.au/blackpool/charnley-road-hotels.htm

Charnley Road looks very appealing  to me. Blackpool looks very pleasant too. Blackpool, Beamish, Crick, Alexandria, Egypt, Hong Kong anywhere with double decker trams suits me fine. I remember when the old GRO in London was situated where the old London Tram Tunnel surfaced onto the street.