Author Topic: Naming a child after a deceased older sibling  (Read 6267 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Naming a child after a decesed older sibling
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 May 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
I have one family where four children were named John. All died in infancy, as did their next boy, John William.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 May 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
You often find trees where the compiler has not realised that a child died and a later one was given the same name, and it is the life of the second one that they have charted. It is an easy mistake to make, but shows the importance of checking the burial records along side the baptisms.

I have found that one lot in my family made it easier for me, they always gave the children two names, if a child died the next one was given the same names but reversed.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 May 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
I was fortunate that my grandfather was the last born in his family and Victorian birth certificates are so good.  It gave me the names and ages of his siblings and the fact that James Thomas was born and died before he was born and was named James Arthur.  James was his grandfathers name, but it took a while for it to be used.
Similar stories are in other parts of my tree.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Naming a child after a deceased older sibling
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 May 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Landje,

I had a couple in my family from as recent as the 1920's.

There are a few other topics on RootsChat, here are a few for you. (I found them by searching "dead sibling" you can spot the ones of interest from the description)

Naming children after a dead sibling
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=642197.0

Sibling with the same Christian name
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705314.msg5482849#msg5482849

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 May 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
You are also likely to find instances, at least I have on more than one occasion, of a man marrying after the death of his first wife, and giving forenames to children born to the second marriage, that are the same forenames of living children from the first marriage.

I assume, despite some obvious confusion it might cause, it is done because the name is of particular importance to the 2nd wife's family line.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 May 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
I had my great great grandfather's birth and baptism but couldn't understand why, on later censuses and on his death certificate and headstone, the date was out by 4 years. When I went back and checked I discovered that the birth I had was for his older brother who died when he was a few months old and that my greatx2 grandfather had been given his names.

Like an earlier poster I've also found families where several children have been given the same name as older siblings who died and they in turn have died.  I think after a couple I might have considered that name unlucky and called them something else.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 May 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
Oh! I didn't think to check if this had been asked before, I'll remember that for next time. I'm new to RootsChat but have to say I'm loving it so far. Lots of very helpful people on here. I think there's a lot of truth in the need to keep a name going. I guess if the sibling with that name had no children then the next in line with children would feel duty-bound to use that name....... or may have used it anyway with the amount of name repetition that went on! 
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 May 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
What Jebber says is quite true - sometimes I've even seen the situation in online trees attached to  relatives where they seem to have the older bearer of the name going on and having children etc. - common sense would suggest that with two years between them, look for the death of the earlier one, as he was unlikely to have survived if a younger brother was given the same name, as Groom notes.
Where I've found two children with the same name, it was the result of two second marriages, where both partners had a "John" of almost exactly the same age, born in the same village. As the bride's children immediately, by the next census, adopted the groom's surname, it resulted in confusion, I'm sure, as time went on. In another branch, they seemed to have anticipated this, when a similar thing happened, as after a similar marriage one boy got the middle name of his own mother in addition to the family surname he'd always had, and the other boy used his original surname as a middle name, and both seemed to be punctilious over using the appropriate initials at least on every occasion. Very helpful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 May 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
I also have families naming siblings the same....... simply because they were named after different people who happened to have the same forenames (not through deaths in infancy) ???

I have a family with 3 male siblings (out of 5 children with 1 female)..............
Donald, Donald Allan & Donald  ;D

I have my Grandmother Maggy-Jane (sic) with siblings (out of 7) Margaret & Margaret with 2 brothers thankfully with middle names Donald John & Donald Alexander :P

Another with 2 Catherine's but why not give the subsequent ones middle names  ???

This was done a lot on the Scottish islands.

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"