Author Topic: SMITH's - Rollesby,Norfolk 1750-1850 & Southwark/Bermondsey/Camberwell 1850-1950  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The 1911 census states that WJGrant arrived 1905 - this appears to be the case.  He arrived at St. John, New Brunswick on 11/3/1905 aged 22 (i.e. bc.1883) occupation Traveller.   He is shown as a Commercial Traveller in 1911 which fits.

The census also shows that he was born in the month of July (although, as you say, year given as 1881).

The William Joseph Grant, son of Joseph & Harriett Mary (nee Smith) was indeed born in July:

Whilst birth registered as William Joseph Grant in Sept.qtr.1883 his baptism was as follows:

William Joseph Cullingworth Grant, born 27 July 1883, baptised 9 September 1883 St. Saviour, Southwark, son of Joseph and Harriett Mary.   Abode East Dulwich, and Joseph was a Commercial Clerk.

So, from his arrival in Canada aged 22, and birth details, it does indeed appear that your man was born in July (27th) 1883 (not 1881), son of Joseph Grant and Harriett Mary (nee Smith).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brianth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH's - Rollesby,Norfolk 1750-1850 & Southwark/Bermondsey/Camberwell 1850-1950
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 March 20 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

Thank you for your research into William. Sorry to be so long in replying but I have been scouring the web looking for decendents of Harriet Mary Smith without any success. I found her and parents (James and Sarah) and four siblings but no record of her children. I am dependent on the Mormon Church data on the Family Search website.

In the family history prepared by my cousin, Don, there is scant info on her - she was identified as just Harriet so I am contacting him for further detail. He did indicate that William had 3 siblings (Amy, Doris and George) but I can find no record of them.

If you have online record from another source I would love to know the link.

Brian Thompson

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH's - Rollesby,Norfolk 1750-1850 & Southwark/Bermondsey/Camberwell 1850-1950
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
My oh my, Brian - I have just read through 2 divorce petitions for Harriett Mary Grant against her husband Joseph Grant - the first was in 1893 (13 pages) - presumably not granted, the second on 17/5/1900 (43 pages) - whilst so much detail again I cannot see that a divorce was actually granted.  (This was on Ancestry).

Each accuses the other of cruelty - according to her Joseph did not want children and when she was pregnant (6 times) he would prod her in her stomach and she subsequently had 2 miscarriages.   

The 4 surviving children were said to have been born:

Amy Cullingworth  Grant b.5/4/1882
William Joseph Cullingworth Grant b.27/7/1883
George Stanley Grant b.19/2/1889 - believe the year was actually 1890 not 1889.
Doris Muriel Grant born 23/4/1893

The two miscarriages supposedly occurred September 1884 and May 1988.

In 1891 Harriet M. Grant - married - is living on own means as a 'resident' in Earls Colne, Essex.  Joseph Grant - married - living alone in Lambeth.   Amy and William are boarders in Lewisham and baby George a boarder, nursechild, in Tottenham.

In 1901 Amy, George and Doris are boarders in Camberwell with a Florence Godfrey, Harriet is living alone in South Wimbledon, Surrey and Joseph is a boarder in Lambeth.

So your cousin correct - William did indeed have siblings Amy, George and Doris.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brianth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 March 20 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Annette. Mystery solved.

Offline Brianth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 March 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
Thank you again for your research. If you want further detail on William Grant I can provide information. Brian Thompson