Author Topic: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?  (Read 16235 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 21 May 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

1868 Queensland Post Office Directory ( Meyer)
BANANA
Cramp John, telegraph master.

John Cramp was appointed as a Line Repairer, Electric Telegraph in the Queensland Government on 8th April 1861, salary 161 pounds per year.

John Cramp was appointed as Station Master at the Drayton Telegraph Office in 1864.

Gerry

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 21 May 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Some more information on the skeleton - he was 'aged', may have recently left one of the asylums,  had a seamen's discharge certificate (illegible), a prayer book with writing (also illegible) and had died within the last 3 months.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62743019

Debra  :)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 21 May 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
Also in National Advocate 2Mar1895 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/156696059
Dead Three Months.
Mudgee, Friday.
The body of a man was found in the river. It is supposed the man had been dead three months. In a swag was found an envelope addressed to Mr. R. J. Inch,  Blackheath. Deceased is supposed to have been an old man who passed through town in November, and said he had come from Sydney.

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 21 May 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
Great find by Cup and Debra, thank you all so much.  I am now fairly sure that the skeleton found is not that of the George Sydney Inch I am looking for. The Seaman's Discharge papers would give rise to a connection seeing there were so many naval officers in the family.   

However a different problem has arisen ::) now because of the report found of a George Sydney Inch being killed by a falling tree branch.  This was in late September 1873.  Marianne Cramp/Bennett/Inch had her last son born in June 1874.  This timing would make it just possible that George has left her pregnant when he went off again to work in the bush.  I am assuming he was back in Banana in 1873 because this is when her father died.  The father had given up the Telegraph Office and had opened a general store and Marianne was running the store and looking after the other 4 young boys.

The obvious problem with this theory is that the later report of him being summonsed for abandoning his wife and illegitimate children (1879 in Rockhampton) says he was given bail on his own sureity which seems to indicate he was still alive and it was another G S Inch who died in the tree accident.  Maybe I need to look for a death cert or inquest on the G S Inch killed by the tree and/or start to see what the outcome was with the Court case in Rockhampton.  I cannot find any evidence of another man of this name being in Australia at the time and the age fits my G S Inch. 

Annie   
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 22 May 15 00:40 BST (UK) »

I think there were 2 John Cramps in Queensland, the other Mr Cramp was a publican in Rockhampton then Townsville.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 22 May 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
 :)  Now I am still wondering about the identity of the skeleton 

Was it another George Sidney/Sydney INCH/E/S or was it someone else ..... unconnected to any of the INCH/INCHE/INCHES families.....

:) Now I am wondering how to go about further solving this mystery

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 22 May 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
Queensland Gazette
Insolvency 30th March 1867.
John Cramp, licensed victualler, Rockhampton.

1868 (Meyer), Queensland PO Directory
Cramp John, resident, Rockhampton.
Cramp J, telegraph mstr, Banana.

Gerry

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 22 May 15 01:05 BST (UK) »
I did think there is another George S Inch from Dr John Inches family (brother of Dr Charles Inch) - I'm sure I saw it somewhere.
Or from R J Inches family.

Perhaps the Skeleton is from another family?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 23 May 15 01:26 BST (UK) »
This death in NSW??
5105/1873  WEST MAITLAND
George S INCHES age about 40 years
DIED MAITLAND
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28410112?searchTerm="George INCHES"&searchLimits=l-decade=187

Essie