Author Topic: George Webb  (Read 26726 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: George Webb
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
It's not a matter of upsetting any one, Jane. Both Jen and I have been doing this for years and know  that you have to check out things and can't dismiss them out of hand, even if they don't fit with what you think.

For instance I have a great x3 grandfather who said he was born in Great Yarmouth on one census and then Liverpool and London on later ones. As I found him living first in London and then after his marriage in Liverpool, I though that Yarmouth must be a mistake. However, on careful checking I found that it was correct, he was born there, moved to London as a young child and then to Liverpool.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Jan I agree. And I am not dismissing anything out of hand.  I know everyone here is better at research than I am.
But just because I am fairly new to this doesn't  necessarily mean I can't have my opinions on my own family. Of course I can be wrong, and very often am. But I do have a wealth of certificates and documents, family stories etc. So think I know my Redmans very well.  But do I, perhaps it's all lies!!!

I  know that finds have to be checked. I don't blindly believe what I find without proof. That's what this thread is all about.

On my tree if I am not 100% sure in say this is what I think but needs more proof! Never say this is true!

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
But just because I am fairly new to this doesn't  necessarily mean I can't have my opinions on my own family. Of course I can be wrong, and very often am. But I do have a wealth of certificates and documents, family stories etc. So think I know my Redmans very well.  But do I, perhaps it's all lies!!!

Don't get so touchy, Jane, no one is saying that you don't know your own family. However just because majority are born in and around Arundel doesn't mean that the odd one can't be born in a completely different place. There could be a variety of reasons why his parents were there - work being one of them. As I said the only way to be really sure would be to sent for the certificate and say that you only want it if the mother's maiden name is Redman.

You did ask for help and advice, and that is what we gave you. I'm now bowing out of this thread.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
This could well be the birth reg of the one christened in Birmingham-

Jan/Feb/Mar 1868
Birmingham
Ref 6d 199
George Edward Webb

The birth cert would have mums maiden name, and so rule this one in or out for definite. But that does mean another £9-25 to outlay. No coffees for the week! Beans on toast for dinner!
Otherwise you will never know whether he was bn Birmingham or Arundel. It may not be that important to you, or you may want to spend out to be sure one way or the other. But without spending out, then any guesses will be no more than that, just guesses.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
This could well be the birth reg of the one christened in Birmingham-

Jan/Feb/Mar 1868
Birmingham
Ref 6d 199
George Edward Webb

The birth cert would have mums maiden name, and so rule this one in or out for definite. But that does mean another £9-25 to outlay. No coffees for the week! Beans on toast for dinner!
Otherwise you will never know whether he was bn Birmingham or Arundel. It may not be that important to you, or you may want to spend out to be sure one way or the other. But without spending out, then any guesses will be no more than that, just guesses.

Thanks Liz, yes will take a punt on this one. What is £10 nothing today.

I too am bowing out of this one. Just because others have been doing this for years does not make them any better than me. Touchy?? Yes and why not? I know a damm sight  more about my family than anyone in here.  Yes I did ask for help and appreciate all the input as as always.

Obviously I have to agree with everything I am told. Ok I am wrong everyone else is right.

End of. I give up. No more Rootschat.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Dont go, Jane! We will miss you.

And we'd love an update on here when you get the certs. 
We dont know better than you about your family. We are just looking at what sources we can to find what we can, and putting them to you as possibilities.  When lots of things indicate something is a strong possibility then it is up to you to either confirm it, or rule it out, by getting the relevant certs.  Either way doesnt make anyone "right" or "wrong", it is just how reasearch goes, following up possibilites until they are proven as fact or can be dismissed as proven to be incorrect.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
Liz, thanks :D. What you said is so nice.

I think many here would  miss me like  they'd miss a hole in the head!

No more for me, I know when to give up. Nice talking to you.

Jane

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
And just one tip -
Sometimes it is a false economy to apply for a cert with the proviso that the mums maiden name is xxxx
In this instance, if you were to say that you only wanted it if the mums maiden name is Redman, and it had been enterred as Readman, or looked like Bedman, or something, then you run the risk that it wont be sent, and you rule out the very birth that is the correct one.  Sometimes using that option can save a few pounds, but sometimes it can actually send you on a wild goose chase. Personally I have never used it - if I think that a particular entry in the index is the person I am looking for because other research has led me to it, then I want to see exactly what is on the cert, whether it is what I think it might be or not! 
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 21 May 15 06:31 BST (UK) »

William Leavy married Mary Redman  1860 Westhampnett  2b 385. So George Webb in 1871 was his step grandson.       

This is probably George's birh

Births Mar 1868   
Webb    George        Westhampnett    2b   349

This is likely to be the birth of George Webb who was baptised 19 Jan 1868 in Yapton, parents William & Catherine.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)