Author Topic: Who would live in a Kirk?  (Read 6787 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Who would live in a Kirk?
« on: Thursday 21 May 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone! I'm not getting anywhere with this on the Internet...both Kirk and Tenant are proper names and that's all that come up...Kirk Somebody and Somebody Tenant and their football scores :-(

So the question...why would there be tenants at a kirk? I have a James Rollo apparently domiciled in St Ninian's Kirk at Saint Ninian's near Stirling in the mid 1600s. He's a maltman, busy turning barley into whiskey :-) and he offered the local laird one eighth of a penny for "communication of trade", again living at the kirk apparently.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who would live in a Kirk?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Throughout the whole of Scotland it was common for a few houses to spring up beside the parish kirk. Few parishes do not have a place called Kirkton. Sometimes the kirk itself has gone, but the name remains. If a record states that someone lived at the kirk, it means in the kirkton, not in the kirk itself. It was common for tradesmen, such as shoemakers to settle at the kirkton.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
I think this was the kirk where the Jacobites stored gunpowder in the '45 and it blew up.

Skoosh

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you GR, that makes perfect sense.

Exactly right Skoosh, and the tower was restored but not the rest. If I can trace anybody in my bunch back that far it will make a wonderful story!

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
He's a maltman, busy turning barley into whiskey :-)

If he's in Scotland, he's turning it into whisky, not whiskey! The spelling with 'e' is reserved for the Irish and North American variety - in Scotland, there is no 'e' in whisky ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
Oh, I do beg your pardon...I stand corrected ;D
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
It's all Scotch to me  ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
It's all Scotch to me  ;D ;D

Not to me, however. I would never use the word 'Scotch' to mean whisky*. I might order a dram, or a whisky or (far more likely) specify a particular malt whisky.

*I might use it as an adjective to describe Scotch whisky, a Scotch egg, a Scotch mist or just possibly a Scotch thistle (by which I would mean a thistle native to Scotland, not the introduced non-native Onopordum acanthium, which is what you would get if you went to a garden centre and asked for a Scotch Thistle). ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:53 BST (UK) »
It was a play on words really  ;D I never touch the stuff.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU