Author Topic: Alfred Eden Deane  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Peter Leaver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Eden Deane
« on: Friday 22 May 15 04:51 BST (UK) »
I have searched in vain for records of my grt grandfather, Alfred Eden Deane.
I know that he married my grt grandmother, Clara Melina Burston nee Smith in Ipswich Queensland, 21 Sep 1880 and gives his age as 40 years born in London.
The Marriage Cert gives his parents as William Deane, Physician, and his mother as Sarah Ann Bliss. Other than the Marriage Cert i have found no record of either Alfred or his parents in either Australia or England
His daughter, my gran, Una Clare Eden Deane was born 1882, Woollahra, NSW, Alfred is listed as her father.
Clara remarried in 1885 as a widow.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received, or is it a case of the colonies being the place for creative heritages and lost pasts ?

Peter

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Eden Deane
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 May 15 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I ask if you have Una's NSW birth cert?  If so, is it the document that gives you the marriage details for her parents, or do you also have the Queensland BDM certificate?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 May 15 05:52 BST (UK) »
JM the marriage cert is attached to a tree on Ancestry.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 May 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
agh  :) thanks
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 May 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if the information on the NSW Birth cert for Una re her parents marriage details reflects that 1880 Qld marriage.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 15 06:13 BST (UK) »
The 1904 marriage has Una's father as "Alfred", a squatter, deceased.   There's no middle name.

The 1880 marriage as "Alfred" There's no middle name

The 1880 marriage has the bride as a widow, marrying under her mum's nee name. 

Re the apparent lack of passenger lists.   I seem to recall that this lack of Qld lists has been mentioned before, here at RChat.   I think there was mention of floods in 1893, taking many records away.

Here's the Qld Archives http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx

Cheers,  JM

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Suspect there were some at least minor fibs going on.  Certainly not hints of anything under those names unless he was related to Thomas Deane b. England (Bolton) who moved to NY and married a Sarah Ann Bliss in 1827-- but no medical connection that I can see! (also, they seem to have only daughters).

The big question: when Una was born, was Alfred still around? Any hint on the certificate there?
Was "Eden" perhaps an alias, not a middle name?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I have looked at a few family trees associated with Clara and you certainly have more than your fair share of 'name shifters'  ;D

I assume this is Clara's remarriage in Newcastle in 1885:

6362/1885
ASH, HENRY
DEAN, CLARA M
Registered at NEWCASTLE

She was a witness at her sister Minnie's wedding in 1888 at Waratah where she signs as Clara ASH.  I also assume that Henry ASH and Henry (Diedrich Heinrich) EEG, the man later acknowledged as Clara's husband, are the same person? 

If Alfred wasn't actually deceased then Clara must have been reasonably confident that he would not turn up to challenge her remarriage and it doesn't look like she was making any effort to hide.  Perhaps he had left the country or she had found that he was already married.  He was quite old for a man marrying for the first time.

Was "Eden" perhaps an alias, not a middle name?

Is the 'E' initial on Una's birth cert recorded as Eden, and is it written Eden or Edan?  I can't help noticing that one could be an anagram of the other - maybe a clue from Clara or maybe I am grasping at straws  ;D

As JM said, the 'Eden' name was not used by Alfred when he married and was not added to his name when the daughter's birth was registered, and it is important to know who it was that registered the birth.

Alfred seems to have left no footprint in Roma, his stated place of residence in 1880, or Ipswich where they married which is fairly unusual for a gentleman squatter.  Gerry (Aussie1947) has kindly agreed to check his Queensland resources for any mention of Alfred when he has time.

Debra  :)

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 03:43 BST (UK) »
QLD ERolls 1876-1878 show the following:

Alfred DEANE; Toowoomba-Darling Downs, 1876, Residence, Westbrook Station.
Alfred DEANE; Toowoomba-Darling Downs, 1877, Residence, Westbrook Station.
Alfred DEANE; Toowoomba-Darling Downs, 1878, Leasehold, Westbrook Station.

Nothing listed in the QLD ERolls 1860-1869.