Author Topic: Lookup for the Will of Ralph Smith in Whitehaven Archives  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup for the Will of Ralph Smith in Whitehaven Archives
« on: Friday 22 May 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
This will is listed in the index of "Copeland Wills 1541-1857" published by the Cumbria FHS.

The wills are found on microfilm in Whitehaven Archives; the will of Ralph Smith of Whitehaven is found on Film number MM2205

Unfortunately the frames on the microfilm are not numbered. Each film has typically 620 frames and the will of Ralph Smith is at frame number 170 so probably about one quarter of the way through the film. Ralph died approximately Oct - Dec 1848. He was unmarried so the will potentially details the whereabouts and married names of his many siblings.

Thank you for any help.

If you believe your ancestor has a will that would have been registered in the Copeland area I can check if one has been indexed if you give me full name and approximate year of death or probate.

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for the Will of Ralph Smith in Whitehaven Archives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
Just for your info, I have come across a new resource for those looking for probate records covering Lancashire north of the Ribble, and parts of Cumberland, Westmorland and Yorkshire, 1748-1858.   Deaneries included are Amounderness, Copeland, (which includes the area around Whitehaven I am interested in), Furness, Kendal and Lonsdale.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111002010603/http://www.uclan.ac.uk/schools/education_social_sciences/history/probate_index.php

Probate records are indexed under full name, occupation, place name, parish, date and nature of probate eg. will.

Worth a speculative search under your surnames of interest or by place names.

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)