Author Topic: Earl Douglas Caswell b. 1893.  (Read 7099 times)

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Earl Douglas Caswell b. 1893.
« on: Thursday 28 May 15 04:44 BST (UK) »
What happened to Earl? Can anyone help please. This is what I have been able ascertain about him thus far.
Born Dec. 1893 to parents John Nelson Caswell and Elsie Jane Willits. Earl aged 22 married Rubina (Ruby)Geraldine Young aged 27, 14 March 1916 Toronto. This taken from their marriage record.
They had three known children Rita c. 1916/7, Donald Keith c.1920 and Jean ? who married Donald McCrae/MacRae at some stage.

In Rita's marriage notice 1939 to Berwynne Tillcock (Toronto star) she was given away by her grandfather J.W. Young ( Rubys father) no mention of Earl. Her brother and sister both mentioned in the wedding party and the reception to be held at home of brides parents where Mrs Caswell and Mrs Tillcock will receive.
The only other mention I can find of Earl is on the death of son Donald Keith Caswell. KIA 1944 aged 24, son of Earl Douglas and Ruby G. Caswell.
I've tried searching the 1921 census and can't find them, obviously I'm missing something here.

1968-1974 I have found Ruby living with her daughter and son in law in Sth Durham and believe she died 1976.

Why didn't Earl give his daughter away? unless of course he couldn't for some reason.
I would love to clear up this little mystery so any help would be appreciated.

Chooch

Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Earl Douglas Caswell b. 1893.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 15 05:47 BST (UK) »
OK! just found Earl, Ruby, Rita and Donald in 1921 under the name Cusrell living in York, Toronto City. That's  one part of the mystery solved.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found Ruby's death notice in the Globe and Mail newspaper, Nov 12, 1976 edition, page 45.  Ruby died in Bowmanville on Nov 10, 1976.  She is listed as Ruby Caswell, Silver Cross mother.  She was Ruby Young, daughter of the late Mr and Mrs James W Young.  Mother of R Tillock, and J (Mrs Donald Macrae).  Survived by 3 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.  Her siblings are listed (some survived her and some predeceased her).  She was also predeceased by her son Donald, who had served with the 48th Highlanders.  She is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. 

There is no mention of Earl in the obituary.

I don't know if the daughters are still alive, so I will use first initials only...  just in case. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Victor Caswell who died in 1953.  He has several siblings who are mentioned... none is said to have predeceased him, so I assume they are still alive.  In the list is Earl of Toronto.  Other siblings are Fern Headley of Los Angeles; Daisy and Raymond Caswell of Toronto.

If this is your Earl, he is still in Toronto in 1953. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 15 08:24 BST (UK) »
HMM - there is a short article (with photo) about the death of Donald Keith Caswell in Sicily.  It says he is the son of Mrs Ruby Caswell of 849 Broadview Avenue.  The article doesn't mention Earl at all.  Globe and Mail, Nov 9 1944, page 5

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Donald Arthur Macrae obituary in the Star.  He died April 16 2001.  He had been the husband of J C Caswell for 57 years.  So, that would mean marriage about 1944.  The spelling here, as well as in Ruby's obit,  is Macrae. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 May 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Looks like the 1953 obituary for Victor Caswell is the correct family.  I found the father's obituary in the Toronto Star... John N Caswell died in Toronto on Feb 27 1931.  Leaves a widow (unnamed ::)), sons Victor, Earl and Ray, daughters Daisy and Mrs E W Headley of California.

That means Earl was in Toronto in 1953.

RK

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 May 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi RunKitty

Thank you so much for all that information and the trouble you went to.
Yes you had the right family and I have now found Ruby was living at 2/849 Broadview as per her son Donald's notice from 1945 to 1963 voters list, then is with her daughter Rita ( and yes she is deceased 1992).
As you say no mention of Earl with her during this time. Earl was the informant of his fathers death in 1931 so I've found and did give his address as 30 Mortimer, so looks as though the whole family were there.
Odd that no  'inlaws' are mentioned in John N Caswells obituary either.
So! back to it, thanks again RunKitty I really appreciate your help.

Chooch.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 May 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Do  know where John N Caswell or other members of this family were buried? Perhaps we can find Earl there as well.

"Fern Headley" was nee "Helena Fern Caswell", m. 1926 (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8NN-NGG ), died 1967 (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VP4T-TB4 ) - could be worth looking for her obit to see if/how siblings are named.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk