Author Topic: Wm Mitchell Aberdeen -> Victoria; m'd Mary J Isbister: info on son George  (Read 2431 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
I've done quite a bit of work on this family, so am just looking for info on first of 9 kids George, as well as when father William arrived Australia.

William was born in Aberdeen (prob Old Deer) in 1851, 2d to last of 11 kids of John Mitchell and Ann Smith Manson, and the only one who roamed far from home.
His and Mary's first child was George Mitchell, b. 1877, a  chemist in 1919 with possible spouse named Dorothy May (from electoral Registers); had dau b 1895, as found in online newspaper.

They seem to have lived in Footscray, and although I can find info on marriages and deaths of each of his siblings, I cannot find the same info for him.   He is mentioned as deceased (not surprising) in the obits of two sibs who died in the early 1970s.

In the 1895 census George is referred to as 'a chemist' (he would have been 17 or 18, so married quite young apparently).  Because of this info, there is some possibility the 1895 birth and early 1900s electoral listings are to a completely different Geo. Mitchell.

This isn't hugely important, and I have spent a fair amount of time on it, but I thought I would offer it up for consideration of knowledgeable Australian researchers.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wm Mitchell Aberdeen -> Victoria; m'd Mary J Isbister: info on son George
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 15 03:13 BST (UK) »
George was still alive when his father died in 1929:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4001200

In the 1895 census George is referred to as 'a chemist' (he would have been 17 or 18, so married quite young apparently).  Because of this info, there is some possibility the 1895 birth and early 1900s electoral listings are to a completely different Geo. Mitchell.

Nick

I have no idea what you are talking about here  ;D 8)

Debra  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 15 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,
Are you able  to tell us please why you believe the George Mitchell Chemist of Footscray (Federal Referendum 1889) is the son of William and Mary Jane Mitchell?

The only death for George MITCHELL after 1929 with parents EDIT mother not known was in Bendigo.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 15 03:44 BST (UK) »
OK, I missed the comment about the 1895 birth in the first paragraph - "had dau b 1895, as found in online newspaper".  Probably unlikely that he would having children in 1895.

There are lots of George MITCHELLs to choose from on the electoral roll.  He wasn't registered to vote at the same address in Williamstown as the rest of his family in 1903.

Debra  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 15 04:01 BST (UK) »
In the estate of William George MITCHELL, sometimes known as George MITCHELL  chemist
Argus 1932
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4503054

Death

MITCHELL Wm George
Father- Wm White MITCHELL
Mother- Mary POWELL
Aged 67
Footscray.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 15 04:04 BST (UK) »

Death certificate for William MITCHELL d. 1929 would ask for " years in the colony" details, which might assist in finding his arrival.

Electoral Rolls 1919 and 1928 have William MITCHELL, mariner, with Mary Jane, Margaret Jane and Jessie Ann at Melrose St.

If William is a mariner he might have arrived as ship's crew. Do you see his sons following father William into shipping occupations....and maybe son George?.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 May 15 04:06 BST (UK) »
Marriage: for reply #4 by Sue  :)

Wm Geo MITCHELL (b. Footscray) m. Sarah HUGGAN (b. New Zealand) 1894 #4350

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 May 15 04:07 BST (UK) »
1903 VIC ERoll:

24 Hopkins Street, FOOTSCRAY
George MITCHELL - Chemist
Sarah MITCHELL - Home Duties

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 May 15 04:23 BST (UK) »
re: Footscray The 3 kids born between 1877 and 1881 are shown on Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922 are born Footscray and that was what I based my guess on.  1884 birth is in Fitzroy and I thought that might have been a mis-transcription.   1885-1898 births are listed as "Will" or Williamstown.  I see from a map that both Fitzroy and Williamstown are just a few short kilometers from Footscray, so didn't think it was out of the question.

But, there are so many George Mitchell's in the area at the time maybe  it is impossible to positively identify the correct one.

Thanks,

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein