Author Topic: Edward Owen born Anglesey - March 1864  (Read 6984 times)

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Owen born Anglesey - March 1864
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
The little information that I have so far gleaned is that he was originally from Anglesey and his birth details are:- Edward Owen born March 1864 - Anglesey 11b page 587.

It appears by the information you are getting from other researchers, Edward Owen was a Liverpool lad but, I would not rule out the Anglesey connection completely.

I found an entry on the North Wales BMD website for the Edward Owen you have quoted born in Anglesey.

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/index.php

Edward Owen b. 1864 - Llanddeusant sub-district, Anglesey.
Mother's Maiden Name - Hughes
Reference: DDEUSANT/08/E496

Llanddeusant is a small village and parish in north west Anglesey.

You can get a copy of this birth certificate by contacting Anglesey Register Office using the reference shown above.

http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/community/birth-marriage-and-death/tracing-your-family-tree/

I hope its of use?

100%Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 May 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi 100%Gog,

Thanks for posting that information, my Dad always told me that 'we are from Anglesey', that is what made me believe I had the right Edward Owen.

It now transpires that the Edward Owen in Liverpool is the right one as I recognise the names of most of his children.

Hopefully if I am able to trace the family further back I might come across the Anglesey connection.

- Harold

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 June 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just an update re my quest regarding Edward Owen, due to Ancestry.co.uk allowing free access to their entire UK collection (Free Acess - 5-7 June) I was able to look at a number of Census' this morning including the 1881 Census.

Looking at this one it appears that Joshua Owen was a 'shop boy' but after studying the Census it became clear that the entry was Johshua Owen 'ship boy - mess' which means that I will now look for crew lists.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 June 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Harold,

Glad to hear you're taking advantage of the free Ancestry offer.

Regarding Joshua's occupation-I think it does say shop boy mess,though. Mess(enger) being the occupational classification used for the census.

Maureen

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 June 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

It is pretty hard to discern the occupation on the 1881 census so am keeping options open on both Shop Boy - mess and Ship Boy - mess!

Did finally make out the full occupation of the father William Owen which is Cowkeeper Milkseller.

I ordered the marriage certificates for William Owen and also his son Edward yesterday so they should arrive sometime next week.

- Harold

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 June 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

Hi Harold,
 Always good to keep your options open ;) but if you still have access to Ancestry-try a quick experiment by typing "shop boy mess" into the keyword option on the 1881 census and see what you get. 483 hits?  And that's just for "shop boy". Errand boy mess brings up many more.

Maureen

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 June 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen

I have located details of the death of Joshua Owen and also his baby daughter they are buried in Toxteth Cemetery here in Liverpool.

Surname    Forename        Age             Rank          Address                     Buried

Owen         Joshua            26 years         -             30 Yoring Street         1 August 1893

Owen         Emily               3 months     Infant        30 Goring Street       20 August 1893

It would appear that his baby daughter was buried a few weeks after Joshua.

The address in the burial details for Joshua was wrongly spelt as 30 Yoring Street and no details of his rank (occupation) was given.

The address for Joshua was given as 'Yoring Street' instead of 'Goring Street' which would be the family home of his father William Owen.

Will try what you suggested on the Ancestry site before the bewitching hour comes along and the free access stops.  :)

-Harold

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 June 15 06:12 BST (UK) »
How sad.  I see what you mean.

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/dbase/toxsearch.htm

Perhaps it's time to move to the Lancs Board??

Maureen

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 June 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
How sad.  I see what you mean.

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/dbase/toxsearch.htm

Perhaps it's time to move to the Lancs Board??

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

It was through that above website that I obtained lots of information about my late relatives, also was able to download a 'graves map' and from that was able to locate my late grandads grave.

If the weather is good tomorrow will hopefully revisit the cemetery to find another two graves.

The Lancs board I have visited a few times to just browse the messages and found an excellent thread on there earlier today titled "Liverpool cowkeepers" which was very interesting, will leave the Anglesey section for the time being and concentrate on the Lancs section.

Thanks for your help.

-Harold