Author Topic: Windows 10 arrives July!  (Read 42458 times)

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 arrives July!
« Reply #171 on: Thursday 30 July 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Installation failed today.OH switches the computer on as he is making a cup of tea for me to drink in bed. He then leaves it while he brings me my tea and we sit for a while reading. So i'm not sure if the anti virus has kickd in and spat it out. I have now changed the settings to download but not install, as i want to check with SIL before installing.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Thursday 30 July 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lostris

and finally, NO Sleep or Hibernate option on Power Down - just Restart & Shutdown ... most odd ...

I get sign out, sleep, shut down and restart.

I agree the apps on the start menu are rubbish.  I went to All Apps and uninstalled the ones I didn't want, just right click on them.  Some you can't uninstall.  Same with the apps that are shown as pictures etc.

You can change the font, the brightness etc.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Thursday 30 July 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite as happy with it as I was yesterday!   ::)

Firstly I hate all the Apps on the Start up screen, the news appears to be basically American which isn't a lot of use to me in sussex, England but I am going to go through and uninstall a load.

What I find even more aggravating is that every time I send an email it automatically goes back to that start up screen rather than back to my Windows Live Mail screen and same with other packages.  That is going to annoy me!  ???

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Thursday 30 July 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Apart from the apps, most of which I've uninstalled, everything else is working exactly as it did with Windows 8.1.  No problem with Mozilla Firefox, or Thunderbird.  Word is fine, my family tree program Legacy is fine.  Everything is fine.  ;D

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Thursday 30 July 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Mike: Shame you can't find a friend with a quick connection! ::)
The fun starts when the download complete.
 Brian

Yeah  ;D . . . but it's a desktop PC so not quite so simple even if I could find someone. But I have been playing around with the Preview for a while, mainly to make sure I could install all the software I need. I was pleasantly surprised to find everything worked including some really old stuff.

Anyway I've now reached 50% downloaded in 14 hours.  I even tried tethering my 4g mobile and bridging the connections for a while to speed things up, but I only have a 2GB monthly allowance on that so couldn't do it for long.

The extra time will allow me to finish making backups of all my data, which of course I always do regularly anyway  ::) ::) ::)

If all goes well I plan to create a DVD and do a clean install, replacing the multiboot Win7/XP/Linux arrangement I had, since I find myself rarely using the other systems these days.

The new Windows 10 thread was a great idea, by the way  8)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Thursday 30 July 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
I've just had the blue notice flash up that Windows 10 is ready to download. Can I just ignore it for a couple of weeks? I'm away from home at the moment and the download speed here is only about 1.5 Mb whereas at home I get over 60Mb, so noticing what people say about how long it takes, I presume I would be better waiting?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Friday 31 July 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
You can set a date and time for it if you wish.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Friday 31 July 15 07:48 BST (UK) »
You can set a date and time for it if you wish.

You can set a date and time for install, but I thought the download just happened in the background without having to do anything (if you reserved your copy that is), mine did.

When I set a date and time for install, it was completely ignored, because when I shut down it started the installation process.

Simon

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Friday 31 July 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lostris

and finally, NO Sleep or Hibernate option on Power Down - just Restart & Shutdown ... most odd ...

I get sign out, sleep, shut down and restart.

I agree the apps on the start menu are rubbish.  I went to All Apps and uninstalled the ones I didn't want, just right click on them.  Some you can't uninstall.  Same with the apps that are shown as pictures etc.

You can change the font, the brightness etc.

Change where? - its as much the 'style' of the WIN10 window-frames as the actual Font .... ref Screen Brightness, yes, can be changed manually, just curious why it dimmed down from WIN7 - contrast very obvious in the 40 mins from last seeing WIN7 to WIN10 running - and why the 'Resolution setting greyed out  ... must be to do with the Graphics card drivers or similar, as the NVidia Centre in Control Panel is disabled too !

Shutdown options .... again strange why it changed, its not BIOS related ... WIN7 had Logoff/Hibernate/Sleep so why does WIN10 not consider it an option ... nothing obvious in Settings either ....