Author Topic: Windows 10 arrives July!  (Read 42472 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 arrives July!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
but I've never believed in change simply for the sake of change or to keep up with the neighbours. If the machine does what you want and in the way that you want it done why change ?
Thank you for the positive feedback.

I agree with this. I am happy with 7 and how it functions , for me, at this point. My concerns were more to do with conflicts and it seems you have given cause to believe Microsoft have listened and learnt.  :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have, just this morning, got a "Get Windows 10" notification on my bottom toolbar.

Regards

Malky

I too have just had this appear in the same way and I currently have Win7.....I had to upgrade some software when I changed from XP and am wary of committing myself to to the upgrade.
So I am grateful for the feedback.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
I have, just this morning, got a "Get Windows 10" notification on my bottom toolbar.

Regards

Malky

Not long turned lappy on and noticed the "Get Windows 10" notification.   Happy with Windows 7 at the present time, and it isn't ready for Windows 7 Heaven, and as I used to say to son "Do you really want or need the latest stuff"?

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Could it be a godsend to those running Windows 8?
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 09:37 BST (UK) »
..., if o'k my wife will be updated also.

Do you have a new model in mind?

Thanks for making me literally laugh out loud Mike  ;D 8) ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
[Thanks for making me literally laugh out loud Mike  ;D 8) ;D
You're welcome. I really couldn't pass that one up!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
If your software ran in Windows 7 then it will run perfectly well in Windows 10.

In use W10 has shown a greater tolerance for older software than Windows 8 e.g. Microsoft Office 2000 - wouldn't install on W8 but runs perfectly happily on W10. (I prefer it to the Office 365 installed on my W8 machine)

One of the old problems when upgrading Windows versions was that often hardware such as printers etc were left behind but with Windows 10 this has been largely overcome - again possibly due to the users feedback during the technical preview period.

As regards changing from XP to any later version of Windows - the problems come due to switching from a 32 bit memory structure to 64 bit systems but I've never believed in change simply for the sake of change or to keep up with the neighbours. If the machine does what you want and in the way that you want it done why change ?
Thank you Falkryn, that sounds quite positive and I may change my mind.  :)

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available update or service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go to Microsoft Support Lifecycle .

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle