Author Topic: BallylorickTownland County Down  (Read 7908 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BallylorickTownland County Down
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 09:15 BST (UK) »
Mistakes do happen on headstones.

... Erected 1877  Joseph May  Physician and Surgeon  BallyLorick and Rathfriland  In memory of his friends  Samuel May Died 1770  Joseph May Died 1830  Samuel May  Died 1869  Also his wife Margaret Floyd May  Died March 1902 Aged 76    Dr. Joseph May  Died October 1906 Aged 82 years
Here lieth the body of (?)  Who parted this life the 26th day of April 1785 Aged 76   Here lieth also the remains of his brother M(?) Malcolm Little  Who ceas’’d exist on this world on the 18th day of July 1800  Aged (?) years ...

"Joseph   MAY   .   Drumballyroney   of Ballybrick ; will probated 1830"
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Some more information for you, that you may or may not know know
Geography- wise  the more northernly Drumballyroney civil parish with its two townlands of Drumarkin and Rossconor touchs the more southerly part of Drumgath civil parish where there are the town lands are Cross and Kiltarriff , meeting at Rathriland itself. Ballybrick is however 3 miles to the north, but to drive from Rathfriland to Ballybrick the last part of the drive is on Mays corner road.   So who knows about the history of an area ‘Mays Corner’, so famous its its so marked on Google’s  Maps, and visible at certain magnifications  however the current likely homestead could be the Mays Corner Post Office, 1 Mays Corner Road, Katesbridge Banbridge, Down BT32 5RB . So which is older the Mays family must go back a further long time. So does the post office apparently!

Switching to records

From Tithe-Applotment-Books/Records
See http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/drumgath-parish.php#.VW7Ty0uDoYU
May, Joseph    Townland: Cross Year: 1834
May, William    Townland: Cross Year: 1834
May, Wm.    Townland: Kiltarriff Year: 1834

Both Townlands point into Rathfriland
Was Josephs father William??

From Griffiths primary valuation {Continued in valuation records up to1921 at PRONI)
See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
In Drumgath civil parish
In 1864 there is a Joseph May living at Church Street Cross townland ,Drumgath civil parish map ref 55.27
In 1864 there is a Joseph May living in Cross townland ,Drumgath civil parish map ref 39
In 1864 there is a Joseph May living in Cross townland ,Drumgath civil parish map ref 21
In Drumballyroney civil parish
In 1864 there is a Joseph May living in Drumarkin townland , Drumballyroney civil parish map ref 3
In 1864 there is a Joseph May living in Rossconor townland , Drumballyroney civil parish map ref 25
In 1864 there is a Joseph May living in Castle Street Rossconor townland , Drumballyroney civil parish map ref 36 16
Both townlands surround rathfriland

Have you found out yet the existing church records ?
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
No I haven't found church records  not relevant at the moment, Ballylorick was a place I thought was, so I believe  the Ballyroch  or Ballyrock as on a death certificate  filled in by his son as informant on anther relation NZ  could mean to be taken as Ballybrick.  Havent searched records here yet ONeill.
Regards
jannane

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 June 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused after reading your latest post. It sound as though you are looking for O'Neills from a place called something like Ballyroch/Ballyrock? If that is correct, are you sure it was in County Down and not some other place in Ireland?

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 June 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
Don't be confused  I thought I had made it clear   yes in County Down  the entry by the informant Ballyroch  Ballyrock has made research difficult I know Ballyrock is in Antrim  , County Down  as per records is the county ., I had thought Bally lorick may have tied in with my other search.
Regards
Jananne

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 June 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Your initial request was too brief. Your replies are still far too brief for the likes of me . Might I suggest you put aside your ‘informant’ and really welcome further help being offered.  Because this is my last effort for you.

I made a mistake jumping on the May family suggestion, instead of absorbing your 2nd reply saying O’Neil of Rathfriland is what you are trying to find out about.  Yet you knew about May’s!

So extending the unthanked sensible reply from whiteout7 on Ros Davies website
{which has loads of 'little'}
Miss Elizabeth (Eliza) O'NEIL . Drumgath regd. Rathfriland; wife of John McKey; mother of Mary Ellen b. 1867 & Thomas b. 1869 & Margaret Elizabeth b. 1871 CR
Miss Mary O'NEILL . Drumgath wife of John Maginnis ; mother of John bpt. 24 Jul 1850 (sponsors were Daniel Maginnis & Bridget Magennis) at Drumgath Catholic Church PR
Miss Mary O'NEAL . Drumgath regd. Rathfriland; wife of John Grant; mother of John b. 1874 CR

Searching to church records for Co down relevant parishes for catholic records.  Here is my starter from two sources
1. Ros Davies website
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/CHURCHES/A-I.htm
Rathfriland Catholic Church- St.Mary's
This chapel , on the Newry Road, was built in 1832
PRONI, NLI & LDS have baptisms 1829-1880, marriages & burials 1837-1880 ; graveyard attached , gravestones UHF Vol 19
St. Patrick's Catholic Church
in Drumgath Townland
near Lurgancahone
This chapel was built on the site of an ancient rath/fort. It was built in 1833
Graveyard attached
Barnmeen Catholic Church- St. Colman's 
on the Rathfriland to Newry road
This is the oldest Catholic church still in use in Dromore Diocese.
graveyard purchased mid 19th century; prior burials in old graveyard

2. PRONI you need to download    Also this doesn’t seem to cover all of Ros Davies listings so I have missed something.
 somehttp://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf
R.C. Annaghlone (Tullyorier) (Dromore diocese)
[The head of a district which also comprises
Drumballyroney parish]
Baptisms, 1834-81; marriages, 1851-81; burials, 1851-
MIC1D/24
R.C. Drumgath (Dromore diocese)
Baptisms, 1829-81; marriages and burials, 1837-80. MIC1D/24

Further from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/drumgath-parish.php#.VXFt8UuDoYV
Little, David Townland: Drumgath Year: 1834
There are no Lyttle, Neil or O’Neil/O’Neill.
Further from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/drumballyroney-parish.php#.VXFvaUuDoYU
Little, James Townland: Imdeal Year: 1827

Little, James Townland: Imdeal Year: 1837

Little, James, Jr. Townland: Imdeal Year: 1827

Little, Samuel Townland: Imdeal Year: 1827

Little, William Townland: Edingarry Year: 1827
this hub doesn’t list past “McNeilly, Robert T” so I am not able to tell you anything about Neil /O’Neil/O’Neill
I leave you to look up grffiths etc etc
Good luck and farewell
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 June 15 02:34 BST (UK) »
I thank you for your reply and grateful for the help  , I have been into these sites   many times    Ros Davis has an excellent site ,none of the ONeills  on her site  appear to be ours   .I will have to work forward from 1810 .The Ballyrock   Ballyroch  Ballylorich have all been miss leading .I found the Mays on a cemetery transcription hence  my pasting and coping it 2nd reply   as I wasn't wrong  Ballylorick , a wrong inscription at the time 1877.  I then wondered  if ONeills from Ballylorick as well .Sorry for not answering earlier.  There are many townlands in N Ireland where my research takes me not listed today or have modern spellings .
Regards 
Jananne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 June 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
I'm still puzzled about the May headstone. When I asked if you'd seen it yourself or was it a transcription you replied
thanks  every one  I saw the inscription photo clearly stating the name

and now
I found the Mays on a cemetery transcription hence  my pasting and coping it 2nd reply

In any case, I will leave you to carry on with your research and hopefully someday you will find records for your O'Neills.

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 June 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks   , I thought inscription on head stone and transcription as in writing it down was  the same  .Now  that  I find the Ballylorick ,Bally roch  don't exist  at all clears this  search up for these  so called townlands end of  story .

Thanks   
Jananne