Author Topic: Stanley Victor BURT  (Read 3255 times)

Offline kanadyan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stanley Victor BURT
« on: Tuesday 02 June 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. Looking for relatives of Stanley Victor Burt born around London, England in 1909. Rumor is that is father was wounded or killed during WWI and his mother couldn't raise him (possibly siblings).  Stanley's grandmother, Mrs. A. Boughton, gave Barnardo Homes, permission to send him  to Canada as a British Home Child. Despite the experiences of he endured, he grew up and chose to join the Canadian Military, he married, had children and grandchildren.  Do you know of him?

cheers
Shannon

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley Victor BURT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi a Stanley Burt aged 10 along with a Leslie Burt aged 12 travelled with a party of Doctor Barnados children 18th July 1923 Southampton to Quebec on Vessel Minnedosa

Birth Stanley V Burt March qtr 1913 Reading 2c 696 mmn Boughton
Possible birth for "Leslie" Percival L O Burt Sept qtr 1911 Henley 3a 2071 mmn Boughton

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Shannon

You can use the index reference keyboard has given you to order the birth certificate online from the General Register Office
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

This is cheaper and easier than the commercial alternatives.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
His grandmother was living at 16 Queens Road, Caversham in 1923.

Anyone found a Burt/Boughton marriage?

Shannon - any further details from the Canada end (possibly not if the birth was 4 years out)?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 07:42 BST (UK) »
There is this death
Deaths June quarter  1943 Emily A Boughton age 78 in Reading. (Caversham under Reading)

And Emily Ada Boughton, born Chesterfield,  in the workhouse in 1901 in Henley on Thames.

But Emily Ada is not necessarily A Boughton

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
There is this death
Deaths June quarter  1943 Emily A Boughton age 78 in Reading. (Caversham under Reading)

And Emily Ada Boughton, born Chesterfield,  in the workhouse in 1901 in Henley on Thames.

But Emily Ada is not necessarily A Boughton

Still cannot locate a marriage, and wonder which child possibly could be the mother of Stanley/Leslie?

But Emily Ada Hodkinson married Arthur Boughton 9th October 1886 St Peter, Radford, Nottinghamshire, and the child Nelly Emily Boughton was baptised 25th November 1888 St Paul's, Hyson Green Father Arthur Mother Emily Ada abode 1, Russell Place.

1891 Census

Arthur Boughton 25 Widower? occ Planer b Oxfordshire( In earlier census born Caversham)
Bertha 3 months b Staffordshire
Mary Hodgekinson 63 Mother in Law/Widow b Nottinghamshire
Residing at Wellington Road, Handsworth, Staffordshire
Census Ref RG12/2261/128/12

1891 Census

Ada BROUGHTON 26 Married b Chesterfield
Nellie 4 b Nottingham
Residing at Infections Hospital, All Saints, Chesterfield
Census Ref RG12/2273/29/6
Keyboard86

Offline kanadyan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 15 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, I feel amazed at how quickly y'all found info.  Thank you!  The lead about Percival Leslie has panned out - and a nice surprise at that because I found PL Burt in Canada and it appears he remained in Ontario after Barnardo's sent him to Canada.  His obit says he died in 2006.

I'll follow the tip of requesting a birth cert through GRO for Stanley.  And I look forward to looking in more detail at grandmother's background you've provided.

The way y'all acted to get me whatever info was out there shows me this can be a great virtual community for a genealogy beginner :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again Shannon, who / what does Stanley show as father on his marriage certificate?

I can see the arrival of Stanley in 1923 with next of kin Grandmother A Boughton, his intended final destination was to a Mr John W Hobday 538, Jarvis Street, Toronto, but I cannot locate a similar one for 1923 appertaining to "Leslie"?
Keyboard86

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 June 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
From the Canadian archives:
Form 30A for Stanley Victor Burt
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform/data2/dm10/d10/006003/t-14977/jpg/30927_2000901307-04010.jpg
and for Leslie Percival Owen Burt
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform/data2/dm10/d10/006003/t-14977/jpg/30927_2000901307-03840.jpg

I think Bertha Boughton might be their mother. There's no marriage that I can find, but 1911 (using the free index only) reveals a Frederick Percival Burt (birth registered as "Frederic Percival") with wife Bertha, and a son, Frederick Charles aged 1.

There is no death in WWI I can see for him, although there is a possible Frederick P Burt who died in Wales in 1961 aged 76.  (Note: if this is him, then there is a marriage in Wales in 1915 to a Miss Jones and subsequent children)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk