Author Topic: 1760'S TO Mid 1770's Churchs  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1760'S TO Mid 1770's Churchs
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
John remarried after death of Hannah:
Family 2    Tryphenia Wilson
          b. 14 Dec 1793, Gill Becks, Norwood, Fewston
Married   12 Jul 1848     St. Peter's [Cathedral] Church, Bradford
Marriage Certificate (1848): John Labran & Tryphenia Jowett    
Officiant    J. Burnet - vicar of Bradford
Partners   John Labran & Tryphena Jowett
Partners    John Labran (widr. - labourer) [of Bradford] & Tryphena Jowett (widow) [of Bradford]
Rites    Banns (CofE)
Witnesses   Joseph Heap, Charles Hemsworth
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
A John LAYBURN son of John was baptised at Hunslet on 28 Jun 1778 - found in Leeds St Peter registers at Ancestry (Hunslet then being part of Leeds). Quite a good match for that Middleton, I think, though I'm less familiar with that side of Leeds.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hunslet being 1/2 mile from centre of Leeds.
 Brian

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 June 15 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. Yep thats my family. I descend from the 1821 John via his English born John (as opposed to the Australian born John from his 3rd marriage) Colourful chap in that he abandoned his wife after (it is rumoured) he got a staff member pregnant, who the eldest son then married. Married bigomously in Australia then a 3rd time (after the second had passed on) by which time the first spouse had been polite enough to have passed on as well. The Aussie branch were unaware of the English (and Kiwi) lot till the late 1980's when one of them researched and wrote a limited edition book about him.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this muddies the waters, but Ancestry's West Yorkshire Non-Conformist collection includes the burial of a John Labron on 3 June 1847 at St Peter's Chapel, Leeds (I don't know what or where that was, but it should be possible to find out); he was aged 73 years and of Providence Court, Woodhouse Lane.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 June 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
arthurk: That was a good find :)
Looking at an Ordinance survey map of Leeds @1890 there was a St Peter's Chapel (St Peter's Street) a Wesleyan Chapel holding 2000. 10min walk from St Peter's Church (cathedral) near current Radio Leeds studio! (Exact location, under the West Yorkshire Playhouse)
 Brian
[St Peter's Chapel was on the circuit of the Oxford Place Chapel Mission with School Street, Meadow Lane, Pottery Fields, Sweet Street and Bethal Chapels. St Peter's served the people of Quarry Hill, then considered to be the worst slum area of Leeds. The Mission tried to alleviate some of the aspects of squalid living conditions and convent people to the Methodist Religion.]

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 June 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
 Well found but I think that is not him. My Fathers cousin has him dieing Feb 22 1860 at Leathley  with wife Tryphena Labron "present at death" reg 24 Feb 1860 Otley. In 1861 she was still at Leathley and died 19 Oct 1869 age 80. The relatives work was done in pre net to early years of the net so thought I would have another look to see if new info had become available to try and track the elusive "Middleton". The rellie has moved on to other interests than genealogy. :P :P I was under the belief that it is an incurable addiction. At the time he was listed as 85 which gives a circa birth of 1775/1774 as Feb is so early in the year. Also the grandson John that came to NZ converted to Catholicism on marrying an Irish woman

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Leatherley being about 4miles from Otley.
Have you had a look at www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk?
Found a death of a Martha Labron 1870 at Otley, others found but this being more appropriate.
 Brian