Author Topic: Pensylvania sisters (orphans)  (Read 8183 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Pensylvania sisters (orphans)
« on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello again - in 1920 two sisters appear as inmates of an Orphanage - Chartiers, Allegheny, Pennsylvania,  Anna 16 and Josephine 14 the surname used is Schustic, both said to be born Pennsylvania, but their parents  are Slovak, then part of the Hungarian Empire.

Josephine married first but she is recorded as Schuster, maybe an error if somebody copied from a signature?  Parents John and Marie. 
She's easy to find after her marriage, as is her sister, and they both married in Detroit

Anna M married but is recorded as Shustrick, again possibly an error, but what seems strange is only the witnesses sign, but sister Josephine uses her married name Faber so I can't look for a transcription error.  Also Anna confirms father John mother Maria nee Dreska.

So can anyone find the girls births registered in Pennsylvania Anna M 1904, and Josephine 1906.
The surname is the hard part when searching, but I'm pretty sure it will be a variant of Schustrick.

I've been looking at the 1910 census but so far no luck, are the girls already orphans?
Then there's the parents, did they arrive as a couple from Slovakia?  or did the marry in the US?  Their first child being born 1904 would probably mean a marriage after 1900, putting parents DOB 1880-85?  Obviously there will be some record of entry in to the US.

Not easy, for me anyway, but please don't kill yourself looking.  This is just the tail end of a family tree which years on has brought someone in asking questions.  Thank's in advance for anything you might find.  Remember I'm only looking for info pre-1920.  cheers Fred

PS. If I can settle the surname I have a friend in Slovakia who might be able to take this further.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pensylvania sisters (orphans)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Have you looked through the PA Birth Index?  It might have Josephine.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/genealogy/3183/birth_indices/1962923

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/genealogy/3183/vital_statistics/387291

On January 1, 1906, the newly established Pennsylvania Department of Health officially began to issue birth and death certificates. Prior to 1906, Pennsylvania births and deaths were recorded only sporadically by the counties and some cities such as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Genealogists must rely on county records or nongovernmental sources such as church registers, gravestone inscriptions and newspapers to obtain data for this earlier period.

Do you have either of the women on the Social Security Death Index?  Or their death certificates or burials?  Getting a more exact date of birth might lead to the birth records.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
obituary rewritten

Obituary appearing in the Doylestown (PA) Intelligencer, 15 Mar 1990

Josephine M Faber, 85, born in Oakdale, Allegheny, PA to the late John and Mary Drucheski Schustic, died Mar 13th at Doylestown.   She was the widow of the late Nicholas F Faber and leaves 2 children, 6 grandchildren, and 8 great grandchildren to mourn her passing.

SSDI states dob as 16 Jul 1904
                  dod as 13 Mar 1990

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Spot on Genealiza - I did see her husbands death notice when I was searching.  I wonder if Anna was Hannah? or maybe named Maria after her mother but using her middle name?   I think it's pretty obvious John and Mary are adaptions of European names.  With regard to records I was watching "Long Lost Family" last night and Germany which is a country renowned for it's organisation has no National data base for BMD, so you have to go to local archives, so US states with different set ups is no surprise.

Do you think the mothers middle name will be her maiden surname?  Not Dreska, but Dreska does exist as a surname.  This is a good board to come to when you need help.  I'll try immigration, I'm sure you're already looking.  If the mother died in childbirth it could be John simply couldn't keep the children, so he may appear alone in 1910, but it is all guess work.  Thanks again.

By the way Anna married a Brit and moved to the UK 1932, where she died.  There might be some detail here in the UK, but you won't find parents names on a death certificate, just DOB if you're lucky, place od death, and the informants name.  I'll get back to you if I find out more here in the UK.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 15 16:09 BST (UK) »
If you are referring to her middle name being Drucheski, obituaries here usually state the mother's maiden name followed by her married name.  So, the mother's name is probably "Mary" Drucheski.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
If you want to give us Anna's married name and husband, then we might be able to find her obituary to see if it matches with Josephine's.  Just read that Anna moved to the UK.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 June 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Our replies are passing each other.  Anna married a chemist Leonard Carr and came to live in the UK, I'm just trying to find out more.  Her husband died alone in Southampton in 1966? so Anna died earlier? Or they divorced?  I can't see a Anna Carr's death which puts her birth year anywhere near 1904.  I'll get back to those asking me the questions and then get back to you.

The 1920 clearly put's Josephine's birth as 1906, so maybe they mixed up the girls DOB and Anna is 1906?  Or if Anna is 2 years older?  I'll look at their ages when they married.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 June 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Just found an entry in the Pittsburgh City and another in the Business Directory, 1926, for:

Anna Shustic, nurse, 535 Rosedale, resides same