Author Topic: Help with a UK Place Name- Knutsford?  (Read 4185 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with a UK Place Name- Knutsford?
« on: Thursday 04 June 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Please could someone kindly help me decipher the address recorded for my Great-Aunt Lena Deely?! I can't make it out!

The file was too big to upload, so I cropped it. If it helps to see more of the text on the page, I could send it to you privately.

Thanks so much,
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a UK Place Name
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I think possibly the last word is KNUTSFORD?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is Knutsford. I don't know where Pickford is/was, but nearby Macclesfield does have a Pickford Street, so presumably it was a settlement between Knutsford and Macclesfield at one time.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 15 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen

Some of the other addresses appear to be entities. Salvation Army, Wainright Bros., GWS Ltd., Possibly it refers to Pickfords, Knutsford. i.e. the Removal Company.

What is the date? Pickfords is a very old company. Maybe they were storing her stuff and acting as a contact for mail etc.

Venelow

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 15 06:03 BST (UK) »
Yes Pickfords is a well known removals/storage company in this country and Wainwright Bros also turns out to be a shipping co.  We aren't told what type of document this is, looks like a passenger list but perhaps it also lists passengers' goods and the ultimate destination of the goods rather than the people.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a UK Place Name- Knutsford?
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
 from the Outward   Passenger Lists   on  Ancestry 

The original  shows    what are  'private addresses'  for  other  passengers  ,  so  as Venelow    says  maybe  Pickfords   were   a  base for  her  mail  at that time   

Lena Deely

Birth Date:
abt 1919

Departure Date:
27 Aug 1938

Port of Departure:
Southampton, England

going to
Montreal, Canada

Ship Name:
Alaunia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickfords

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. I didn't think about it being a company name. I have heard of Pickfords. This ship's list was from 1938.

Interestingly, I've found my Great-Aunt on the next page too! I've no idea why she was listed twice. I've not come across passengers being recorded twice before! The address seems much clearer on this page of the list though. Would you agree it says Guildford and not Knutsford?

Thanks so much,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. I didn't think about it being a company name. I have heard of Pickfords. This ship's list was from 1938.

Interestingly, I've found my Great-Aunt on the next page too! I've no idea why she was listed twice. I've not come across passengers being recorded twice before! The address seems much clearer on this page of the list though. Would you agree it says Guildford and not Knutsford?

Thanks so much,
Glen

Hi Glen, the 1938 voyage I am looking at looks to be Pickfords, Knutsford to me?

The one on the next page agree aged 19 shown as Lehat/Lenat Deeley Pickfords possibly Guildford?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
Definitely "Guilford" to me, Glen, in both examples. The "G" is disguised be the letters above and below in the first example. But I probably wouldn't have seen it without the second example. Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.