Author Topic: 6504, Teague Gallagher, Irish Guards  (Read 2537 times)

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
6504, Teague Gallagher, Irish Guards
« on: Saturday 06 June 15 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I live in Broxburn, West Lothian, Scotland and our local family history group is researching those who lost their lives in World War 1. I have posted this message on the Donegal Board too.

Teague Gallagher, 6504, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, died 9 October 1917, age 24. He was the son of Patrick and Sophia Gallagher of Derrybeg, Letterkenny. He is on the Irish 1901 and 1911 census living at home. Interestingly, he is on the Scottish National War Memorial and I am wondering if he came to the Broxburn area to work after 1911. A Teague Gallagher is also mentioned on the memorial at St John Cantius Roman Catholic Chapel, Broxburn.

Another twist is there is a Teague Gallagher born and baptised in the Broxburn area. However, no information can be found on him. He seems to have disappeared, even descendants do not know what happened to him. Perhaps this Teague served as an alias. Commonwealth Forces have no record of him either.

Does anyone know about 6504 Teague or perhaps there is a newspaper article about his death?

Thank you.
Mags

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 6504, Teague Gallagher, Irish Guards
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
The person you mention with that service number is recorded as enlisting in Edinburgh, resident in Derrybeg and born in Gweedore. I don't understand what you mean when you say "Commonwealth Forces have no record of him either". What is that?

I guess you have seen the CWGC record:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/491511/GALLAGHER,%20TEAGUE

Imber

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Imber,

Re Commonwealth Forces. No trace can be found of Teague born and baptised in the Broxburn area. I have searched Canadian, Australian etc records. This Teague just seems to have vanished. As I said relatives researching his family history don't know what happened to him.

6504 Teague: I have all the info for him i.e. CWGC, SDGW, Medal Card, Soldiers Effects etc. My difficulty is linking him to Broxburn/Uphall. Many Irish families came to this area to work. This probably is what happened with 6504 Teague as he enlisted at Edinburgh, however I don't have proof this is. At the moment I am looking through our local paper archives. I had hoped perhaps someone had come across him and a link to Broxburn/Uphall when researching the Fallen in the Letterkenny area, perhaps a newspaper obit..

Thanks for your interest.
Mags

Offline tkgallaghr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 March 16 02:54 GMT (UK) »
This may be a coincidence - but I assume the name Teague Gallagher was not all that common.  I do have a Grand Uncle by that name - also from West Lothian.  He was one of my Grandfather's brothers.  But he was the son of Murtagh (Murty) Gallagher - not Patrick.  He did have a brother name Patrick.  The brothers were Neil (my Grandfather), Teague, Denis, Patrick and Murtagh (aka Murry or Murtz).  All born in the 1890s.  Denis and Teague were killed in WWI (Teague in France).  Neil, Murry and Patrick emigrated to the U.S. and settled in Massachusetts.  I also have a cousin named Teague who was born in the early 1960s and lives in Florida.  He's the youngest child of my Dad's brother.  I live in Maryland.

Tom Gallagher

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 March 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

We are talking about the same Teague. You have already corresponded with my friend, Margaret, about him. I believe she sent the birth certificate of Teague, son of Murty, to you. Margaret and I are both in the same research group.

The only Teague Gallagher on CWGC is the son of Patrick and Sophia. This post was to try to find out if this Teague came to Broxburn/Pumpherston/Uphall area to work. It looks as if this was the case as he enlisted in Edinburgh. Records for Soldiers Effects show 6504 Teague leaving his effects to mother Sophia and his siblings. So 6504 Teague Gallagher is not your Teague.

Although your Teague was born in the Broxburn area, we don't have any war service information on him. He may have served under a different name. Our difficulty is knowing whether the Teague on the war memorial is your Teague or 6504 Teague.

Hope this makes sense.
Mags

Offline tkgallaghr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 March 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification.  I guess the name was not as unique as I thought.  I even came across another living Teague through a social network site. 

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

Sorry I couldn't bring good news about 6504 Teague and your family. Margaret asked me to pass on that she had tried to contact you and she sends her regards.

Mags