Author Topic: Horace Howard Leeney Parents  (Read 3658 times)

Offline dutch1001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horace Howard Leeney Parents
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 June 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
Mabel, Here is what I based my Frank Proctor - Martha Leeney (Rigg) marriage date on.

Notice that her daughter from the marriage to Frederick Howard Leeney is living with them.

Estimated Marriage date is listed as 1891.  Assuming it's accurate, of course.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 June 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
They provided the information - it is as correct as they chose to be! Many a time do we find people who say they are married actually marrying many years later. Martha's husband was dead (but she may not be aware). Frank may have a wife somewhere too.

This is interesting - 1891. 20 Cambridge Terrace, St George's Hanover Sq.

Frank Proctor    34 - waiter, b Mantisden, Suffolk
Ethel Proctor    32 - b London
Lillian E Proctor    11 - b Brighton
Harriet Hudson    52 - lodger

RG12, 76, 75, 37

Frank matches. Lilian matches Lilian E Leeney, but Ethel - or is this Martha?

1901 - fulham

Frank Proctor    44 - b Wantisham, Suffolk
Ethel Proctor    41 - b Brighton
Lilian Proctor    18 - b Brighton
Ivy Standbridge    3 - grand daughter (Cecelia's child)

RG13, 69, 55, 50

Most likely presumption is that Howard and Martha split up and Howard get together with Emily Cleverly and Martha with Frank

Offline dutch1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 June 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Mabel,  I will never get to the bottom of this "mess" I am afraid.

Too many assumptions have to be made to try and resolve the conflicts here.

Thanks

Offline stanbri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 February 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I've been working on the Rigg-Leeney-Proctor question as well. Howard Frederick Leeney (1855-1890) was my 2nd-great grandfather. I'm descended from his daughter Cecilia Elizabeth (Leeney) Stanbridge (1878-1932).

My theory is that Horace Howard Leeney b1886 was an illegitimate son of Howard Frederick Leeney (1855-1890) and Emily Cleverly. But I don't have any evidence to prove it! I'll paste my research notes below in case they're of any use to you.

I'm no DNA expert but I do have DNA results for both my late Dad and myself. If you think that might help, I'd be happy to share the DNA kit numbers!

Cheers and best wishes,
Jo

1886 April 26 - POSSIBLE birth of a son, Horace Howard LEENEY, at 3 Lillington Street, Middlesex, St. George Hanover Square, St. John Westminster. On May 5, Howard registered the birth, giving his address as 3 Lillington Street, his occupation as "hotel porter" and the mother's name as Emily Leeney, formerly Cleverly. [Child would have been conceived around August 1885.]

There is little evidence to support or refute the possibility that Howard was the father of this baby, but it is interesting to note that the father's occupation "porter" is correct--that is, Howard worked as a library porter when his daughters were born.

All of the following searches have been unsuccessful so far:
--no marriage registration for a groom named LEENEY (and name variations) to a bride with the surname CLEVERLY, CAVERLY or CLAVERLY
--no marriage registration for a groom named Howard or Frederick LEENEY (and variations) to a bride named Emily
--no church records for such a marriage
--no newspaper announcement
--no baptism for Horace LEENEY (or variations) born 1886
--no birth announcement
--no evidence of an Emily LEENEY (or variations) in 1891, 1901 or 1911 census records
--there is an obituary for an Emily Leaney, born in 1857, wife of James LEANEY, in the Kent & Sussex Courier, Friday 04 January 1929, page 11, col 4 (accessed via FindMyPast). This appears to be Emily TROTMAN, who married James LEANEY on 24 October 1891 in Ticehurst, Sussex and can be found there in the 1911 Census with their children--no connection to the surname CLEVERLY.

1890 Aug 15 - Howard died suddenly in the market in Brighton, of a burst blood vessel and consumption. Three days later, his wife registered the death. She listed her address as 28 Cavendish Street--the Leeney family home, where her mother-in-law Sarah Elizabeth CHRISTMAS Leeney still lived.

SEE ALSO:
WikiTree profile for Howard Frederick Leeney (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Leeney-10)
WikiTree profile for Martha (Rigg) Leeney Proctor (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Rigg-576)

Offline stanbri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 February 23 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Following up on my previous post: according to Ancestry's Thru-lines I do share some DNA with a person who appears to be a great-grandchild of Howard Frederick Leeney (a descendant of Horace Howard Leeney b1886). I share 45 cM across 3 segments with this person. The longest segment is 27 cM, and the unweighted shared DNA is 50 cM [whatever that means!] I'm not sure exactly how to interpret this, but I hope it helps. Cheers!