Author Topic: Grace Ruth Sillett  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Susan Brazeau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grace Ruth Sillett
« on: Sunday 07 June 15 02:07 BST (UK) »
Interested in other Sillett researchers, especially from Bungay and elsewhere in Suffolk. Thx.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Ruth Sillett
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I am not a Sillett researcher, but if you would like to post a few more details of what you
have and what your are hoping to find, there may be researchers here that may be able to help.

Would Grace have married William Angus Hillman in 1914 in York, Ontario?

Cheers,
DB

Offline Mike Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan.

Glad to hear you are still researching Silletts.

Mike.
Hammond, Sillett, Packard, Ling, Robinson, Raven, Wilgress, Wright

Offline Susan Brazeau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike Turner:  Good to hear from you.  I have just come onto RootsChat and have no idea how to become a submitter or how to even reply directly you  :-)  :-), so I am doing a Quick Reply.

For my first post, I used the Sillett name since I now belong to  British Home Child sites.  My grandmother, Grace, was such a child who came to Canada in 1900. As you may remember, from all of your excellent Sillett research, her father died in 1899 and 4 of the children were removed from the home. Grace was the only one that came to Canada -she came through Dr. Barnardo's.  I do not need anything further on her, but I am still hoping to connect with others of our direct line whom I had not heard about or heard from before. 

Thanks, again, for all the assistance you gave me a few years ago!  It opened up my research and I appreciated the documentation!  All the best!  Susan

Offline Susan Brazeau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 June 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I am not a Sillett researcher, but if you would like to post a few more details of what you
have and what your are hoping to find, there may be researchers here that may be able to help.

Would Grace have married William Angus Hillman in 1914 in York, Ontario?

Cheers,
DB

Hello DB:  I am entirely new to RootsChat and have no idea how to properly respond to a post...so I hit Quote and am now trying to contact you this way :-).  I will learn! 

First, thanks so much for your response.  Yes, Grace married William Angus Hillman. They are my paternal grandparents.  I have a lot of information on both families, but, for my first post on this site, I decided to use the Sillett name as I would still like to make contact with other Silletts from the same parents or grandparents as my grandmother. Over the years, I have been successful making some contacts, but would like to learn more of the "family stories".

Grace's parents were Harry Charlish Sillett (1861-1899) and Margaret Ann Mallett (Sillett, died Kemp 1868-1937). Grace's  paternal grandparents were John Charlish and Hannah Sillett; and, her maternal grandparents were George Mallett and Louisa Cullingford.  Margaret had one child after she married Thomas Kemp; but their son, also called Thomas, had no children. I have not researched the Kemp family, yet.

Harry and Margaret had several children, all born in Bungay, either Holy Trinity or St. Mary's, between 1889 and 1900-just months after Harry's early death. Harry died at the age of 39, in 1899, and, within a year, four of the daughters were removed from the home. Two went to an orphanage in Lowestoft and one went to a family friend. She was lost to the family, but, through aggressive research after a few years of searching, I finally located her and confirmed he relationship.

Grace was sent to Barnardo's in 1900 and then lived with a Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Green in Thorndon, Suffolk until she was sent to Canada in September of 1902.  I have extensive information on her, including her Barnardo records; and, also on my Hillman family on ancestry.ca. On that site, I included a portion of Grace's personal story, that I wrote in my Master's studies.

So, yes, you have the correct people...and it makes me wonder if you might be a Hillman!  I can't keep up with that side of my family.  William's family came to Canada from Wiltshire in the mid 1800's.
Thanks, again, for your interest, DB.  I WILL become more capable using RootsChat the more I use the site.

I would look forward to hearing from you, again.

Susan (Hillman) Brazeau   

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 June 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

RootsChat also has a Surname Index Table - where you can put your surnames of interest.

If you scroll to the bottom of any RootsChat page under "Your Tools" you will see "Surname Interests"  - unfortunately it is currently off-line for maintenance but might be useful to you when its up and running again.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

oops....and welcome from me too.  :)

It seems like you have got the hang of rootschat already. :) If you wish to reply without
quoting, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on reply. You can contact
Mike privately through Personal Messaging, an explanation here.... bottom of the page.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
There is a requirement of having 3 posts for Personal Messaging...so Mike needs one more.

I am not related to the Hillman's, just a helper.

Rootschat posts are picked up by google, so anyone researching the names mentioned
should pick up your post, and along with Sandra's excellent suggestion...you may get
lucky. :)

Cheers,
DB

Offline Susan Brazeau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, DB.  I have been researching for over 25 years and online since 2004, and this site is the most challenging I have ever tried to navigate :-).  People, such as yourself, have been very helpful and I am very appreciative.  As a result, I am now getting through those initial steps and look forward to accessing this site frequently. 
Once again, thanks!
Susan

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan and Mike Turner,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

If you scroll to the bottom of any RootsChat page under "Your Tools" you will see "Surname Interests"  - unfortunately it is currently off-line for maintenance but might be useful to you when its up and running again.

Now back online (and there are two SILLETT researchers there ...) :)

regards,
Bob

To all: for your information, Susan has also added a lot of details about Grace Sillett
to the RootsChat "DBSIG British Home Children" database
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=1&surname=SILLETT&view=24713
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)