Author Topic: BODEKER family in South Africa  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
BODEKER family in South Africa
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,

First, please note that this message has also been posted to Essex board.  

I have been chasing my great-grandfather, Alfred Heinrich BODEKER, around the world for many years.  Last solid information is the 1901 census, 10 Fleet Street, Coringham, Essex where he was living with his common-law wife, Charlotte Eliza HOUSDEN and two children, Alfred H., son, 1, born in Essex and Hilda M., daughter, 2 months, born in Essex.  Thereafter, I have GRO index information concerning the births of four additional children:

Charles William, 1902
Arthur George, 1904
Vida May, 1905
Bertram Norman, 1907

all registered in Orsett District, Essex.  Alfred and family then seem to disappear from England and I suspect that it was around that time that he emigrated to Africa.

Alfred Heinrich BODEKER was born on 5 Feb 1860 in Deptford, St. Paul, Kent, England. It is rumoured that he died in 1906 in South Africa.  He was a foreman at the guncotton powder explosive works in Oare (or thereabouts), Kent but had to leave his home in Faversham when he took up with Miss Housden during 1895.  Yes, he was rascal and deserted my great-grandmother and his legitimate family!

I would greatly appreciate it if there is anyone on the board that can advise regarding sources in South Africa through which I might be able to track Alfred and his family or at least dig up clues as to Alfred's departure from England and destination within South Africa.  

Thank you,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BODEKER family in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
In the RSA archive which is a refernce to documents held, are 17 Bodekers, some of them certainly belonging to you. Alfred died in 1920, somewhere in Natal. His son also Alfred, died 1967, charlotte died 1954, Arthur George d 1942
you can see the deatils by searching
http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?2005071212425746BA6F61%26DB%3DRSAE
There are 3 Bodekers in RSA all in Natal so must be related to one another.
Later......
Have just phoned one of them in Underberg who is indeed related and has a clock and prayer book that belonged to Alfred! Will Pm her address to you.
Ruth

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth,

PM in answer to your latest emails is on its' way to you.

What can I say?  I am absolutely pleasantly amazed with all that you have so graciously and kindly uncovered for me.

Best wishes,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline austu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My wife's Aunt was married to Alfred H Bodeker. One of his children, is living in Australia and would like to know more about her grandparents history. I am new to RootsChat, so can't use PM yet to give you her contact details. but maybe you can contact me.
Regards,
Stewart

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Stewart,

I would be very happy to make the acquaintance of yourself and your wife.  I would also be more than willing to share any knowledge of the Bodeker family that I have.

You can get in touch with me via my website at
http://ancestrysolutions.com/FamilyCollectives/getperson.php?personID=I65&tree=1

which will take you directly to a family group page for Alfred Heinrich Bodeker bn 1899 and his father of the same name bn 1860.  Under the "info" link (top right-hand corner of the page) is a "Contact Us" feature.  Click on that to send an email directly to me.  Any email address on this forum will be removed, so somewhat self-defeating to publish it here.

I'm in Canada so just heading off to bed.

Sincerely
Susan
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline austu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Susan,
Will do as you suggest.
Regards,
Stewart