Author Topic: Tempest Pollard and Margaret Waterhouse  (Read 3448 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tempest Pollard and Margaret Waterhouse
« on: Thursday 11 June 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi!
   Can anyone help with any of the following?

I have a Margaret Waterhouse baptised on 3rd September 1618 at Greystoke, Cumberland, daughter of the Reverend Jeremy (Jerome) Waterhouse by his wife Elizabeth Walcock.

Margaret married at Birstall on 17th November 1641 a Tempest Pollard (think he may have been married before?) and possibly had the following issue:

Anne Pollard baptised 16th September 1644 Birstall

Tempest Pollard baptised 17th December 1645 Birstall

Child buried 4th July 1647 Birstall

Any help with any of the above much appreciated! :)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Tempest Pollard and Margaret Waterhouse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
Marriage at St Peter's Birstall for a Tempest Pollard to Alice Clarke 04/02/1699 (from FreeReg).
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just want to add that the baptisms at Birstall say he comes from Gomersal .
There is a Pollard Hall at Gomersal built by a Tempest Pollard in 1659 which is probably your man.

www.kirkleesimages.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;k023219&pos=2&action=zoom

I'd also be looking at the PCC Will of William Pollard of Gomersall Birstall 16.10.1635 while I can't spot his son Tempest there is property at Tonge which just so happens to have the rich Tempest family occupying a large house there.
Strangely his burial is 6.3.1636 at Birstall of Gomersal.
Daughter Elizabeth christened 10.12.1609 but no sign of Tempest or other children.

But at Tong St James
Tempest Pollard son of William Pollard 18th Sep 1597

There is a possible burial at Birstall 6.10.1668 Tempest Pollard s of William Pollard of Milnbrigg.?Milnbridge?

Other possible siblings at Tong
Helena 1571
Isabell 22.4.1581
Dorithie 24.5.1593
William 30.6.1601
Grace 16.1.1602
William 2.1.1617

I hope that helps.I'm struggling to see other marriages but it looks like the right family.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just spotted a burial for a unbaptsied son of Tempest Pollard of Gomersall at Birstall 7.9.1625.
Also an infant 16.7.1639.
Daughter Anne buried 16.9.1644
So he was married before.
Perhaps the marriage was at Wakefield All Saints 19.9.1621 to Dorothea Sym

She was buried at Wakefield 28.3.1640 which would fit nicely for the second marriage.
Son William baptized there 24.11.1633

Only seen the 1621 marriage on Familysearch but have checked out the rest for more info.
It looks like Tempest was in Wakefield until his father's death and then after the death of his wife Dorothy moved back to Gomersall.

Ciderdrinker

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all who have replied! Very much appreciated. Will have a look and see what else is found. Cheers! :D

Offline Alison5242

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have an interest in the Pollard family from Tong and the various Tempest Pollards, I had assumed that the Waterhouse marriage was connected to the family of that name in Halifax. Over the years I have looked at the branches of the family in Clifton, Tong and Horbury as they all seem to have the name Tempest Pollard but I have never found the origin.  The wills mentioned is really interesting, I have tried to make out the names and believe this is William Pollard and his wife Katherine (no marriage yet found) frustratingly it doesn’t mention their daughters by name only son in law x 4 I think. I have found potential marriages for three of the daughters guesstimating the dates but the names are not clear, also William may have had at least two sons, Tempest as previously mentioned and a William born 1601. No sons are mentioned in the will.
Could anyone help clarify the names in the will please and does anyone have a record of the marriage of William Pollard and Katherine?
My interest is in the branch of the Pollard family around Birstall, Batley and Gomersal area and I have my tree on Ancestry.
Thank you

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 21 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat Alison!
Maybe a visit to calverley info might give you a further insite to Tong.
http://www.calverley.info/calv_enter.htm
Look down and select the Tong tab at the bottom of the page, there is a wealth of info including the Tempest family of Tong Hall.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Alison5242

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 21 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much I will have a look.
I am interested in the Tempest Pollard and his wife Mary who built Pollard Hall in Gomersal in 1659. The only thing I can find are their potential burials at Birstall, Tempest Aug 1714 and Mary March 1709. There is very little on the internet about this family, where they came from and what their relationship is, if any, with the Tempest Pollard who married Mary or Margaret Waterhouse in Tong. When I have looked at the marriage again, something is written before the name Margaret, it begins with an ‘M’ and could be Mrs or Mary? Again there is very little information on where this Tempest Pollard came from.
To add to the confusion, there is a Tempest Pollard in Horbury who married an Ann Peace in 1627.

Are all these Tempest Pollards from the same family and is that the family in Clifton, what a puzzle!

Alison