Author Topic: FindMyPast Software Integration  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
FindMyPast Software Integration
« on: Friday 12 June 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have been using Family Tree Maker for many years and one of the great features it has is the integration with Ancestry. But for the online resources I prefer FindMyPast so what I am looking for is some software that will integrate with FindMyPast that like FMT will show hints and download records.

I see that RootsMagic is being made as an offer on FindMyPast but I can't see anywhere where this program can be integrated. I downloaded the free trial version and the only thing I can see it will do is integrate with FamilySearch. So just in case I've got something wrong can someone put me right otherwise is there some other software I should look at that will do what I wanted to do.

I guess the other thing I could do is to use the online program but I don't like all this working in the cloud.

Robert….
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast Software Integration
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
I'm only an occasional FindMyPast user but I'm not aware it has tight integration with any PC-based software.

I've used RootsMagic for 10 years (currently on RM6). It doesn't have any tight integration with FindMyPast or any other research service, except for Family Search.  Have you looked at RM's WebSearch option?  It might go some way towards what you want.  You can use it for searching various websites for a selected person in your database. However, it has no automatic import facility.  You can create & maintain your own set of useful websites you want to search.  I find it useful.

In RM7, there's a new Web Hints feature that I haven't used or seen - I'm still on RM6.  See extract from a recent review - "The new Web Hints feature allows RootsMagic to claim the prize of being the first app to offer multi-platform record hints, but it’s worth noting it’s currently restricted to just two online repositories: FamilySearch and MyHeritage. When potential matches are found, users will see a light bulb appear next to the person’s name."  Perhaps this might be extended to other websites in future?

Good luck
  Malcolm
Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

Thank you very much for getting back to me it was very good to read your comments on RootsMagic. I have downloaded the program and I have seen how the hint system works. Unfortunately as you have pointed out it will only work with MyHeritage. Certainly some of the suggestions that come from the hints seem to be very useful comparing it with Ancestry & FindMyPast and some of the hints actually come from FindMyPast. Of course I can't access them without subscription to MyHeritage and I was looking at that to give it a trial but unfortunately you can only subscribe for one year and at this stage that would be outside my budget.

Thank you again,
Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
I have the full latest version of RootsMagic, and it doesn't integrate with FindMyPast. I looked at MyHeritage via an offer someone sent me, there isn't as many records to search as either FindMyPast or Ancestry, and the pricing structure is a bit of a rip-off (IMO).

RootsMagic is better in a lot of ways that FTM except for the integration. So unfortunately at the moment we are seemingly stuck with FTM and Ancestry or inputting each and every find into RootsMagic  :(

Oh Well we are still better off than 20 years ago  :D
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Isn't family Tree Maker owned by Ancestry? If so then that would be why they can intergrate one with the other. On the other hand Findmypast (and DC Thomson) don't own any genealogy software companies.

Andy

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the comments. I think another one of the problems might be that the algorithm to sinc is probably copyrighted. I can't imagine Ancestry allowing any competition with Family Tree Maker.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline markmorgan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 November 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I know this is from over a year ago but if anyone finds this via a search there is now an answer...

Version 7 of RootsMagic integrates with FindMyPast

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2685

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 November 16 17:03 GMT (UK) »
What I like about these forums is how answers can come over the years. I did buy RootsMagic 7 but don’t particularly like it for my purpose. It does not actually import the finds unless there has been further updates. I have it installed on my Windows machine. I now run Linux since the disaster of Windows 10. I will give RootsMagic a plug in that it will install on Linux using WINE. Best way is take the easy way and install with Crossover.
Your post and mine should have bumped this up so more people with see.

Robert…..
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 November 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at Family Historian which offers the "hint" system integration with both Find My Past and Myheritage

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/fh-adds-hints-for-findmypast