Author Topic: BBC1 Family Finders  (Read 16567 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC1 Family Finders
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
BumbleB

What's "normal"?  I'm glad you inserted inverted commas, because i don't think there is a "normal" family nowadays, or even was many years ago.  We can see that from our own family records.  My own brother was adopted when my parents were told they would never have children - lo, and behold, I came along a year later.  We were a very happy and close family.  I have two adopted children who came to us at 6 weeks old and we like to think that we are a "normal" happy family, too.  My cousin has two adopted and two children of her own.  My step-brother also has two adopted and two of his own. A second cousin has three adopted children.  We all like to think we have "normal" families.  All these families have been lucky enough to enjoy  stable and strong relationships.

Unhappiness with issues around parents, whether adoptive or natural, is not uncommon, and you can't blame children for wanting to know about their origins - the usual practice is for this to be provided when the child is adopted, to be passed to the child when he/she is old enough.  Current family relationships can become very complicated as people change partners and their children are expected to adapt.

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, BumbleB, but perhaps a better, less emotive word would have been "standard". 

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Looking here
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/normal
I think I prefer it to
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/standard?s=t
I certainly would sooner have
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/regular?s=t

But then everyone to their own.
No offence meant  ;)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
I think BumbleB might have meant (in the context of her reply) that some people haven't lost touch with siblings or parents, which is a very sad thing to happen.   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 25 June 15 01:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhistory/NF2233810?thread=3255389&skip=0

The BBC messageboards are still there, although they are closed.

The link opens with a message that says <cannot log> which you need to OK, and then a longer one which you also need to OK before you can read the thread.  The first message of the thread was removed, but you can pick up the story as you read through the rest.

Thank you.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 25 June 15 02:49 BST (UK) »
I think BumbleB might have meant (in the context of her reply) that some people haven't lost touch with siblings or parents, which is a very sad thing to happen.

Yes, that's how I read BumbleB's post too.  To me a "normal" family is simply a family that strives to keep in touch, without judging each other.   To me 'family' can be more than the "Mum, Dad and 2 kids" from the nuclear family https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Nuclear_family .  Perhaps .... perhaps IF 'nuclear' and 'normal' were interchangeable in BumbleB's post, then perhaps there's some concerns.  But BumbleB did not use the word 'nuclear' so I am having trouble seeing any offence.

Please Gillg, please please don't read too much between the lines as I am quite sure there's many family groups who would prefer to be known as 'normal' families and who may well include adopted and/or fostered children within their family, or include within the one household, grandparents, cousins, and other family members under the one 'umbrella' expression 'normal' family.   To me, born and raised in rural New South Wales, Australia, post WWII, .... we were a normal family, .... we kept in touch ... we still keep in touch .... Our normal family included grandparents, great aunts/uncles, parents, aunts,uncles, brothers, sisters, fostered brothers, fostered sisters, cousins and others....   And at school there were many other family groups of similar structures... all normally living as part of the one household per each group.   

So, sorry you are offended by our fellow RChatter's word, but I am quite sure BumbleB does not intend to cause any offence.

So, simply put I don't read the word 'normal' as an emotive word in BumbleB's post.

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 25 June 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
Agree with JM and the others. You just have to be so damn careful these days as people seem to easily take offence where none is intended. The word "normal" was also put in brackets presumably to try to avoid offending. ::)

Offline Peter654

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 25 June 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
I record them and look at them in the evening or the next day in some cases.  Then it does not matter when they first show them, you then can pick a time your self to view hnem.
Regards
Peter

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 25 June 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
It is good that a lot of the people are doing the research themselves or getting some assistance from the Salvation Army.

I am trying to find who my grans half brothers first wife and children were but with a pretty common name it is quite hard. I know his DOB as I have his birth cert and have a middle name and I have listed potential marriages 1934-1955 and found where he died and who his 2nd wife was but thats it. I like doing the research myself, a one man research army.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 June 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster