Author Topic: searching the poor law records - trying to find St Martins workhouse 1860  (Read 1764 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could someone help me with information to browse effectively the very large data set of the All London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930? where I am looking requires a borough - which is Westminster; a parish or poor law union - and that is St Martins (was not a Union until 1868). but the drop down box does not give an option for St Martins....

The obvious answer is that St Martins is not included, however I'd like some confirmation. I am looking for more information on a Mary Jarvis, aged 44 years who died in the St Martins workhouse about 31st December 1860. I suspect she is my elusive 'Maria Jarvis' (nee Maria McArthur; nee Maria Fudge). I have already sent away for one death cert which was wrong - there are a few possible Maria/Mary Jarvises in London for death between November 1860 and the end of March 1861

Any help would be appreciated!

Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching the poor law records - trying to find St Martins workhouse 1860
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 15 00:59 BST (UK) »
St Martin's workhouse was in Hemmings Row/Castle Street and is described in the records as the Castle Street Workhouse.

The path to the relevant admission/discharge register on Ancestry is ...
London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 > Westminster > Westminster > Admission and Discharge > Castle Street Workhouse: Admission and Discharge Book, 1860-1861

However, the A&D register may not give you sufficient detail to identify Mary Jarvis. Ancestry has grouped a whole lot of different volumes under the heading Westminster (borough) and the sub-heading Westminster (parish or poor law union). You may need to look at other files, such as settlement examinations, if there are any for the relevant date.

You will probably have to open up several volumes under the 'double' Westminster headings to find out whether they relate to St Martin's or to one of the other Westminster unions.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookbox - thanks a lot for the assistance. I was trying to search the main search area, not the option at the left which allows a searcher to find a record set.

I have found Mary Jarvis admitted on 3rd December 1860, the reason being 'illness' and her discharge as 'dead' on the 25th December. Also in the admission Book as 'ill and destitute'. It was her 19th admission, which is a bit curious, as the lady I want to find was married to Mark Jarvis on the 4th November 1860 at St Mary Rotherhithe. I have a feeling this is not my person, so I may not get a death certificate in this case. Age was right though. area a bit off, but you never know.

I've searched the census records for 1861, and not found her under any surname, having traced various possibilities for a woman born at the right time in Sturminster, Dorset (her place of birth). or even Dorset, or anywhere.....she does not appear as married again. Nothing under her previous names although later on there are some possibilities, but the net gets too large. Mark James Jarvis married Rosina Edwards in March 1861. This is a very tight time-frame to find you have married the wrong person....

So I will now look at admissions to Rotherhithe workhouse.... just in case. She doesn't appear as Maria Jarvis in an accident between November 1860 and March 1861.

I am open to suggestions!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
I am open to suggestions!

But it's probably best to post them on the original thread, to avoid duplication and keep all the information in one place.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=634179.0