Author Topic: The mysterious William Douthwaite  (Read 29349 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious William
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 June 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
The William Douthwaite (wireman b abt 1874) is possibly on the 1881 census as William P Douthwaite, the 7 year old son of Hannah Douthwaite (widow). She is a lodger with the Nuttall family in Liverpool.  He has a sister Mary E Douthwaite born abt 1865.
Now a curious thing, searching for Mary and mother Hannah on 1871 census, brings up a Mary Elizabeth with mother Hannah. Mary correct age born Liverpool, Hannah correct age born in Melmerby, Cumberland on both censuses. But Hannah is already a widow in 1871, so who is William's father? Mr Douthwaite, if he existed, had already died by 1871 if the census entry is correct.

FindMyPast has marriage record of this William, confirms the same one as the service record (occ wireman married in 1902). He says his father was George Douthwaite (deceased) father's occupation:  Policeman. Marriage took place in Birkenhead. There is a death of an Ellen M Dowthwaite in Birkenhead district in 1927 age 54  - this age matches her age (30) at marriage.
A 90 year old William Douthwaite died in Birkenhead district in 1962. May be this William, age is close, agian depends on the informant's knowledge.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 June 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has transcription of a marriage of a Mary Elizabeth Douthwaite on 14 Feb 1897 in Liverpool. Bride's age 32. Her father is Joseph Douthwaite. No occupation listed on transcript. Age is correct for her to be the sister on the 1871 / 1881 censuses.

Mary Elizabeth Douthwaite was baptised 12 Feb 1865 at St Augustine's Everton, parents Joseph (policeman) and Hannah.

I've found Joseph Douthwaite in 1861, with Hannah, born Melmerby Cumberland. He is a police officer and has two other police officers lodging with him. No children, so possibly recently married. Joseph born in Dacre Cumberland.
So apart from anomaly with William's father, it is looking like this family checks out through censuses, and if the death in Birkenhead is correct, this William is eliminated as the William who married in 1947.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 June 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Splendid research, Lizzie!!!
I agree with you... the wireman is out! (#14)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 June 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
I called at Barnsley archives and local studies library to see if there was a obituary in the local newspaper of William Oct 1952 but there was not one, also the is no records showing on William Douthwaite on there computer.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has a record in Merchant seaman collection for William Douthwaite born abt 1869 Liverpool.
He was a fireman on the Cassia - vessel official number 86360 registered at Newport - from 30 Jul 1909 to 17 Oct 1909. Vessel owned by Mawson and Co of Cardiff

Going back to this information, I guess this is the same William Douthwaite of my list (#5)...
He states his occupation as "Fireman Steamer Ludworth".

Would "Steamer" mean a kind of vessel or ship, and "Ludworth" the name of the ship he worked on?

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Here is another lead I found some time ago:

There was a Robert William Douthwaite in the 1871 Lancashire census (he is not on my list).
Can someone find out what became of him?

He was born around 1870 in Liverpool. His parents were Joseph and Elizabeth.
They were living at West Derby (Liverpool) and his father's occupation was "house owner".

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
There are these

Douthwaite William Edward Jun 1868 W Derby (which is a Liverpool District) Vol 8b Pg 412 actually born 28 April 1868 to Henry & Ruth Douthwaite 

and

Dowthwaite William Noble bapt April 1868 at St. John the Baptist, Toxteth Park, Liverpool to Joseph & Elizabeth Dowthwaite.

Pheno

(The second one found by Pheno must be the same one I am refering to on my previous post)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Only one William single (no 4 in your list) 1910 (Can't talk on here about 1911c) and would be living the same name mother in 1910 as baptism in link

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NFP8-RJT

Again you need the marriage certificate 1947 to confirm fathers name and William b 1870 (from burial ) retired from an occupation of ?- If a Bachelor or Widower and his age at marriage

I checked St Peter's church Felkirk for a marriage June to Sept 1947 and found nothing ! so most likely married in a register office.

You'll find him signal age 32 occupation 'Account Bank' as a visitor with an Annie Douthwaite age 27 signal also  born Beverley as a visitor Bournemouth 1901  census

If you are abled bodied to be able to visit your local library, they will have free access to 'Free Ancestry library edition' access on public computer to view the 1911 census, all census years also most parish registers for that area and expert staff to help you navigate the Ancestry website if needed.

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm!!!

Since I live in Spain I don't have access to the 'Free Ancestry library edition'.  :'(

Your initial suggestion of looking for an unmarried William Douthwaite of 40 years aprox. was brilliant!!! As you say, it leaves just one "suspect" or "candidate".

I am now focusing on him: I want to know more about his parents, his siblings, where did they all come from and lived, etc., because it still puzzles me how did a Beverley man have a property in Liverpool...  :o

Can anyone please check the Yorkshire 1881 Census, so as to find all members of the household?
William Douthwaite (head), Jane Douthwaite (wife), William Douthwaite (12 year old son) and other siblings...

Thank you!!!