Author Topic: Help reading Medal card  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Jjames83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help reading Medal card
« on: Saturday 13 June 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello-
have just started researching my Great Grandfather's role in the 1st World War.
We know he was in 20th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment-Platoon no 7.

I have downloaded his medal card but have no idea what the extra information is to the right of the medals listing. Would really appreciate any insights anyone might have.

Horace Gough 17358

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading Medal card
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
It's simply the reference to the Regimental Rolls! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jjames83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
The text in the 'remarks' field?
Just wondering as it's not filled in on any of the other cards on the sheet

Offline BradfordPal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat

The writing on the left says Dup(licate) Star with a medal roll reference and on the right "Deleted Star Returned (under reference) CRV 179/5 of 22/8/1923. Min 28" 

Your Gt Grandfather was entered twice for the same medal (1915 Star) under the two references given.  The error was spotted and the duplicate medal was not issued to Horace but returned to the issuing authorities. I am not sure what the Min 28 means though.

I confirmed this through the Medal Roll references given which are available on line.  So the extra information written in is an administrative notation only rectifying the previous mistake.

The medal rolls give a bit more information that you might not have.  Horace is shown as being discharged to Class Z (Army Reserve) on 20/2/1919 in the 1915 Star Roll.

The Medal Roll for his Victory and British War Medals show that not only did he serve with 20th Manchester's as you state but also 3rd, 13th and 9th Battalions.  There are no dates given for this Service but he did keep the same Service Number 17358 throughout.

I trust someone will confirm my findings for you but hope that is helpful.

Martin

Ingham, (Bradford) Firth (Huddersfield/Bradford)
Regan. (Ireland, Staffordshire, Bradford)
Winterburn (North and West Riding)

Researching 16th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment (1st Bradford Pals).

War Graves material acknowledged as being sourced from and copyright of Commonwealth War Graves Commission, from www.cwgc.org

Census information and War Diary content Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BradfordPal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 15 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some more information for you. Service Records are available on "Ancestry" for 17358 Private Horace Gough. Home address 50 Monton Street, Moss Side enlisted 20th Manchester Regt 16/11/1914. 

There is a letter requesting Horace to send back the duplicate 1915 Star he had been sent (in the official envelope provided).  So I was wrong about that - it wasn't noticed until after it had been issued. Your Gt Grandfather obviously did send it back hence the notation on his medal card.

There are two mentions in the Service Records of your Gt Grandfather being awarded the Military Medal - The entries are a bit difficult to read but I think it says  (XIII Corps Routine Orders Number ?218?) is that something you are aware of??

One of the Manchester Regt experts might need to check their records to see if Horace is shown anywhere as being awarded the MM.

The records give a lot more information and would be well worth you looking at.

Martin

Ingham, (Bradford) Firth (Huddersfield/Bradford)
Regan. (Ireland, Staffordshire, Bradford)
Winterburn (North and West Riding)

Researching 16th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment (1st Bradford Pals).

War Graves material acknowledged as being sourced from and copyright of Commonwealth War Graves Commission, from www.cwgc.org

Census information and War Diary content Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John(txic)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
And here's his MM:

Type in his Regimental No. into the search box and up he comes (with dozens of others, of course)    -   https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/ww1

Offline Jjames83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 June 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone- we were aware of his Military medal ( My Granny still has it) but until yesterday she had no idea of where he'd served or anything, so every little bit of information is gratefully received!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 15 07:06 BST (UK) »
CRV = certified receipt voucher

Medals were sent by registered post and were recorded in and out.

You sometimes see IV ie issue voucher.

Ken