Author Topic: Family identification- ulverton House on Banks of River Thames.  (Read 5887 times)

Offline trevaller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family identification-House on Banks of R.Thames.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 June 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
There is a house called Dulverton in Shiplake, henley on Thames, postcode RG9 3JN.  Problem is, I can't seem to find it on google maps to check it out!

ETA: Found the name of the house on the road, but still can't see whether it is the right house or not! https://www.google.com/maps/@51.509144,-0.89233,3a,15.2y,35.95h,78.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4jlxNYRJ0MyW1duLzbE7_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I am very excited about your message but not sure where to go from here.Am new to Rootschap and struggle to find my way around the site.

There is a house called Dulverton in Shiplake, henley on Thames, postcode RG9 3JN.  Problem is, I can't seem to find it on google maps to check it out!

ETA: Found the name of the house on the road, but still can't see whether it is the right house or not! https://www.google.com/maps/@51.509144,-0.89233,3a,15.2y,35.95h,78.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4jlxNYRJ0MyW1duLzbE7_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

[/quote] while stationed in London during WW1went on sick leave to Chadderton,Oldham,Manchester and I thought he went there because of a family connection but a Oldham researcher confirmed that his Unit was there at the time,so I guess that ruled out the liklehood of a connection,much to my disappointment.MLFHS were very helpful and I wondered if they could help with your find.Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Re your curiosity query.Happy to respond to that via one to one email but not appropriate for a Public Forum and it has no bearing on the identification etc. of the people in the photos,which of course is the focus of my research.Your finding re the house in Henly on Thames may be the answer to my Brick wall and if so I will not be able to thank  you enough
and would want to show you my appreciation in some tangible way,if that makes sense : :).I am at present using a paid historian at Madison Historical Library,USA re g.grandfather WA Crossen and his work with Singer Sewing Machine Co in Russia.To date nothing found.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Family identification- ulverton House on Banks of River Thames.
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
I have just moved your post to the photograph recognition board

:)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trevaller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
House/people recognition-R.Thames.
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am seeking help to find/locate a house on the Banks of the River Thames.The photo(see attachment) was taken sometime after 1921 and a sign on the open gate reads...ulverton,so perhaps the full name may be Dulverton,Bulverton or Culverton.On the column supporting the gate(above the dog) are the letters TWN and possibly a B or an 8.The N could possibly be a R.Significance of the letters is not known.I can send a full sized photo to readers if need be.The roof lines on the photo suggest there may be another house behind the front house.The location of the house on the banks of the river is not known-have had several false positives via mailing lists that I have subscribed to,whose area embraces the river Thames.i.e Gloucester to Kent.Names of the people are unknown with the exception of the lady in the front seat of the Type A Citroen car.Her maiden name is possibly CROSSEN or CROSBY.

Any help relating to identifying the people or location of the house or significance of the letters will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,   Trev.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: House/people recognition-R.Thames.
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
I take it that it's you that posted "William Alexander Crossan's sister and husband and his niece" on another site.... so won't tell you that name as you know.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: House/people recognition-R.Thames.
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Previous thread here, with some replies ...
topics merged