Author Topic: 1866 marriage registered in Great Boughton but where was it?  (Read 6948 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1866 marriage registered in Great Boughton but where was it?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 June 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Actually, that's started me thinking, too.
I'd assumed that where it was listed as being "Register Office" it didn't actually mean that always, but could have been performed somewhere like a Non-Conformist chapel, etc, that was a reputable palace of worship, but with the registrar attending.
Is this wrong? I'd not assumed that they all trekked to some Town Hall Office in the late 19thC, but had assumed that they married somehow in the chapel that they worshipped in, where the congregation would be, but with the civil bit done "on the spot" as it were.
-And oddly enough, one of the ones that I'd assumed would be such was .... Hawarden area, some time like 1860s! Never managed to find that one!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 June 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
My belief is that - provided you're looking at the actual certificate - then it is possible to distinguish between a registrar-attended wedding at a chapel, etc, and a register office wedding. I'm looking right now at a registrar-attended certificate of 1847 and it says
  • Marriage solemnized at St. Patrick's Chapel;
  • according to the rights and ceremonies of the Catholic church
  • by me XXX YYY priest
and it's followed by a counter-signature as it were, of the Registrar underneath that of the priest.

So in this case it's explicit that it's in a chapel, and with typical strict rules about wording, I find it difficult to believe that other registrar-attended weddings would be different.

Certainly, it's more difficult to tell in an index entry.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 June 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
That's more or less what I meant. When you'd send for the certificate, you'd find out where it took place, if it was at a chapel or similar, I'm sure. I think I'd assumed OP was working from an index record. Looking properly - they already have the certificate, so I'm unable to think why it doesn't state where, and it must be a Register Office, then?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 June 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys. I know it's a Register Office, that's not the issue. I just want to know where it was and if it was a quick office job or a more formal ceremony. Who'd have thought tracking a Register Office down could be so much fun!
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford