Author Topic: Catherine LEARY convict 1840  (Read 4677 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine LEARY convict 1840
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
This marriage for Timothy Leary and Catherine Sands 18 November 1827 was witnessed by Maurice Landes ? and a Margaret Sands ...I would say going by some of the census records they were still in England ..A few tree's with this couple but again very jumbled they have Catherine Transported and children born after the transported date  ???

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Her convict record definitely gives her as a widow with 2 sons and a daughter. However "widow" could be a way of covering the illegitimate births of the children.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
I am sure I seen another record for a Catherine Cleary and she is listed as single but can't seem to find it now  ???

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
   I was hoping someone could help me please with the above convict who was convicted on the 21st of October 1839 at the Surrey Quarter sessions.  I'm hoping to find mention of this in the local paper if possible.  She was apparently a widow with three children, I'm trying to find out what happened to her hubby and the three kids when she was sent here to NSW.  She arrived on the "Surry" in 1840, she may have been in Milbank Prison as well before transportation.

She was 32 on arrival here born 1808 Co. Cork Ireland a widow with 2 male children and 1 female.

Any help on finding any information on Catherine and family is very much appreciated.  Kindest regards Dianna from Sydney Aus
www.nationalarchives.ie Griffith Valuation Records several entries for surname Sands in Co Cork.
www.irishgenealogy.ie has a Baptism record for a Cath Sand 5th July 1794 in RC Parish of Bandon Diocese of Cork & Ross.  Parents Joannis (John I think) Catha Hays.  Sponsors Richard Murphy & Ann Hays.   
I realise the year you gave for birth was later but as this was well before Civil Registration in 1864 people didnt often know their correct age. :)