Author Topic: Can't print PDF documents.  (Read 12254 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't print PDF documents.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 June 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Does it print, saved version of document?
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 June 15 21:53 BST (UK) »

Offline joyceabc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
Does it print, saved version of document?
 Brian

No it doesn't print any PDF document.

Midas, I have been given that link a couple of times now, I have tried 'print as image' as instructed in the link.  I don't understand why it is not printing PDF documents, nothing has changed, either printer or computer. :(

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
You have probably already checked this, but are you sure it is trying to print to the physical printer, rather than trying to print another PDF somewhere on your system?

Offline joyceabc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks ReadyDale, I am not too computer savvy.  I haven't checked what you advise, I am not sure what you mean.  'Trying to print another PDF somewhere on your system' ???

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
When you hit the print button in the PDF Reader software, it will try to print to whichever printer is set up as default WITHIN THE READER SOFTWARE. This will not always be the same as the printer that, for example, Word picks up from Windows. As an example, if you had two physical printers attached to your computer (say, an HP and a Cannon), the Windows default may be HP, but with the Reader software, the Cannon may be set. That's OK if you have two physical printers like that and they are both switched on and working, as it will just come out somewhere different to where you expect. But if you have some form of PDF Writer software installed (Adobe/CutePDF/etc), this will behave like another printer. So it could be that, the Writer software is set as the default printer with the Reader software. What will then happen is that you think a paper copy will be coming out, when in fact, an electronic copy will be created somewhere.
Thinking this out while typing that, another posiblity is that (in the same manner), the Reader software may be set to print to a printer that is no longer working/attached to your PC. This will usually throw an error message, but not always!.
Either way, instead of printing by hitting the printer icon, try drinting via the File/Print option on the menus (exact wording will depend on which Reader software/version you have). This should give the option of changing which printer to "print" to, so you can confirm it is correct.

Offline joyceabc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for explaining about a physical printer etc.

I do ony have one printer.  When trying to print these wretched PDFs I am doing it via the file/print option as opposed to clicking on the printer icon.  I have tried saving the document (a number of times now) I have also unplugged the printer for an hour. ???

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
And when you do it via the File/Print menus, is the printer shown the printer you are expecting the print to come out of, rather than anything else?

When did this problem start (i.e. when did you last successfully print a PDF to the printer)?

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
Acrobat Reader Dc, Is this the only program capable of printing out a PDF file on your computer?
Looking at one of your PDF files, 'right click onto your document' when box opens select open with Adobe Acrobat Reader Dc.
Look for 'help' heading as your file opens, click onto help then 'repair installation' and allow to run.
Then when that finished try and print out your document.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire