Author Topic: 'Drum', Liberton parish  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
'Drum', Liberton parish
« on: Monday 15 June 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello chatters,

Apologies that I have not posted this specifically in the Midlothian forum but the query I'd like some help with spans two Scottish counties.

Upon researching my RUSSELL family in Carnwath, Lanarkshire (a village in Shotts), to my surprise I have found that one of the children of my ancestors David Russell and Mary Green/s appears to have been baptised in Liberton. Isabella Russell was baptised there while all of her siblings were baptised in Carnwath, so that was the first thing that has sparked my interest in this family.

The second is that on Isabella's baptism, her parents are listed as living in 'Drum', which after a brief search on Google tells me was an area on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

I am wondering why the family appear to have baptised there daughter here? There appears to be a large house in the area but David was a coal miner and I am not sure what to make of it all. Isabella was this couple's last daughter and all children appear to have stayed in the Carnwath area when they reached adulthood. I cannot see any connection to Liberton, and I cannot trace past david or Mary to begin to associate any family connection. I'd appreciate any help or if anyone else has this in their trees. It has me rather stumped!

Cheers,

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Drum', Liberton parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 11:16 BST (UK) »

Hi Matt,
           There is also a Libberton in Lanarkshire .
However the Drum Estate was and is still owned by the More-Nisbet family south of Edinburgh on the outskirts of the village of Gilmerton which was also in the parish of Liberton .
There were quite a few workers cottages attached to the estate and not far away  (approx 200 yards from the main gates )was the Gilmerton pit which was known locally as "The Brosey " it went on fire in the early 1960's and was closed .
A few years ago it was flattened there is no sign of the bing at all.

Hope this helps you a wee bit

midlad

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
You don't give dates, but I see Liberton, Midlothian is mentioned in this 1842 inspector's report:

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/238.html

and on the same website, Drum is mentioned:

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/8.html
" Whereas two coalliers, viz. William Wilson and William Brown, did some time ago come from Sir John Hope's Coalliery, and engage themselves to Mr Armstrong, to work for the space of one year, at his Colliery at Drum. They should, previous to this time, have entered to their engagements; instead of doing so, they have concealed themselves, and, it is thought, about some neighbouring collieries. This is giving notice, that if these two men do not enter immediately into said service, and perform their engagements, strict search will be made, and if found, will be punished according to law. It is hoped that after this public notice, no Coal Master will encourage or employ said men. A suitable reward will be given, for information where these two men are lurking. [Caledonian Mercury 21 October 1805]"

Interestingly in 1773 a John Russell absconded from another colliery:-

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/8.html
"BOUND COLLIERS DESERTED - Whereas John Russell, James and Alexander Loves, bound Colliers to Quarrel Colliery, have RUN OFF, and deserted their service ; intimation is hereby made to all coal-masters, tacksmen of coal- works, or others, who may harbour or employ them, that Carron Company, tacksmen of the above colliery, are determined to prosecute them for the penalties due by statute and common law, for harbouring or employing bound colliers, it is there-fore requested, that any Gentleman to whom they may have applied for employment, will give notice thereof to Carron Company.  [Caledonian Mercury 28 April 1773]"

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
family in Carnwath, Lanarkshire (a village in Shotts)

Carnwath is a parish in its own right, and it is bounded by West Calder on the north, Dunsyre on the east, Pettinain and Libberton in the south and Carstairs on the west.

See http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/LKS/Carnwath/index.shtml
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.