Author Topic: Is this a Boer War Uniform - William Davies Welsh Fusiliers?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a Boer War Uniform - William Davies Welsh Fusiliers?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 June 15 02:53 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Two questions, are you absolutely sure of this mans ID. At the time of the Boer War your GGrandfather would have been in his early 20s but this looks to be a much older man.

Was there a local volunteer battalion he could have belonged to.

The pointed cuff was replaced by the round cuff in the 1880s for the regulars. The slouch hat had mostly disappeared after the Boer War for regulars.

The red tunic was withdrawn in 1902 and replaced by the khaki battle dress as worn in ww1.

John915
Yes, I'm pretty certain this is my ggrandfather.  We have another photo of him taken in 1911 and he definitely looks the same, just older at that point.  The coal mining life probably aged him prematurely. 

Judging by all the information everyone has provided, I am starting to think it was either a volunteer battalion or as Scouseboy suggested, just a holiday dress up photo.  We have no record of him serving but then we have little information on him at all.  He died along with 430 others in the 1913 Senghenydd mine explosion at the ripe age of 36.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 June 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
I believe that red tunics were not withdrawn until 1914 for full dress. The slouch hats fell out of favour  around 1906-08 depending on the unit.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 June 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
Why do you say Welsh Fusiliers in your title? They were based in North Wales. It was the Welsh Regiment based in Glamorgan.

If you have the original photograph a better scan of the belt buckle should tell you if he was a Volunteer or a Regular.

Ken