Author Topic: 1851 Census - address reference Lindridge  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Melcook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census - address reference Lindridge
« on: Friday 19 June 15 03:16 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 my g/father William COOK is recorded as living next door to his bride to be, Ann PRICE, 21 year old daughter of James PRICE (m. Elizabeth PALMER). The PRICE family were living in "White House", Lindridge, Knighton-on-Teme; is this the name of the house, or an area/place? I can find references to Whitehouse Farm, but is this the same place or property? My real search is for the origins of William who was a Farm Bailiff and up until now I've been lead to think that he was from Inch, Aberdeenshire, in 1819/20, but now I'm not so sure, because at the age of 31 he has moved to Worcestershire and then marries in Tenbury in 1854. How can I find out more about their time around Lindridge please? Regards, Mel
COOK, PRICE, BURLING, PRESTIDGE

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - address reference Lindridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
White House is just to the right of Newnham:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101586169

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 15 05:20 BST (UK) »
What does it say about William's place of birth on the censuses?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 15 05:27 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=52.3186&lon=-2.5223&layers=171&right=BingHyb

It may be a place rather than a dwelling. As you can see on the map, outlines of all other named dwellings are shown whereas there is nothing for White House. In order to work out if this is the same White House as on the 1851 census, have a look at the neighbours and compare place names with those on the maps. They may have changed a little though as this map is older than 1851.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 15 05:58 BST (UK) »
I think I was wrong with White House. Looking at the neighbouring places on the 1851 census, I think the Whitehouse Farm you found is likely to be the place, especially given it's size and the fact that several families are living there.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=52.3132&lon=-2.4510&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Looking on google maps there appears to be a dwelling still there though it appears to be 'modernised', converted or replaced. (I think the pointy roofs are WhiteHouse)

And according to the 1851 census William is born in Scotland. Have you located William in later censuses which may give place of birth in Scotland?

It is likely William originally went to England for work, possibly more was available in farming in England than Scotland at the time. You might need to investigate possible historical reasons (Highland clearances?).

Offline Melcook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
Goodness this information is amazing! Thank you. I haven't sighted the census myself, the details were referred to me yesterday via RootsChat. The reference to Inch, Scotland is just that and recorded on his death certificate when he died here in New Zealand 30 Oct 1886. He and Ann married in the Tenbury Registry Office 17th June 1854 and in 1856 he emigrated to NZ on the Emma Colvin arriving Nelson on 23rd June. And whilst Ann also emigrated the same year, it seems she sailed on the ship Inchinnan arriving on 19th May 1856. I think their son William born 1855 died on the journey. I have a note that William lived at 10(?) Bedford Lane, Stockwell, Surrey but at the moment can't confirm that. My trouble with Wm's Scottish birthplace is that there are several towns with similar spelling and no doubt all are said in a way that makes them sound the same. Over the years I have had no luck in finding a record of the birth and so cannot make the connection to his parents, which I'm very keen to do. This information about White House and the area is brand new to me and quite exciting!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 15 08:03 BST (UK) »
His Father's name will be on his marriage certificate - to help to confirm any birth/census information

Added:
Just seen you have put that on your other thread.

Offline Melcook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you yes, I've just discovered RootsChat and am on a steep learning curve! I even have to muddle about getting back to the conversation if I leave it! When I started this "little" endeavour in 1974, computers were machines the size of a truck and used by NASA. Apologies if I have started two threads. Mel

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
No, no, you have not started 2 threads (wanting the same information).  They are separate topics

I just added that bit about Father's information automatically, and should have checked your other thread first.